Ammini Kozhukattai Recipe, Mini Kozhukattai,Mani Kozhukattai. A traditional salty and savory mini kozhukattai prepared on Vinayaka Chaturthi.
Of all the kozhukattais I made thus far, I think Ammini Kozhukattai is the easiest. All you need is to make rice flour dough, shape it like balls, steam them and finally toss it with seasonings. Believe me, it is so simple and easy.
You can make many versions of Ammini Kozhukattai. I have used urad dal whereas I have seen my friends using steamed moong dal. It is a perfect tea time snack and I believe the coconut gratings add a good flavor to the rice balls. Make sure you add the coconut gratings as mentioned below. If you don’t have coconut gratings, you can add coconut powder too.
I hope you like this Ammini Kozhukattai as much as I do. Enjoy!
If you are looking for more recipes to make for Vinayaga Chathurthi, then please refer my Ganesh Chathurthi Post.
Rice Flour/Idiappam Flour/Arisi Mavu – 1 cup
Water – 1 and 3/4 cup
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Salt – as required
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Urad Dal – 1 tablespoon
Red Chilli (Chopped) – 2 nos.
Coconut (Grated or Powdered) – 1/2 cup
Curry Leaves – a sprig
Salt – a pinch
1. Bring the water to a rolling boil and add oil and salt. Stir once and then add Rice Flour little by little. Keep the flame in low and stir well to avoid lumps.
2. The rice flour will thicken and form a solid and smooth mass. Switch off and set it aside for five minutes. When the rice flour dough is warm enough to handle, grease your hands with oil and gently knead it to form a smooth dough. Then pinch a tiny portion of the dough and roll it between your palms to form a small smooth ball.
3. Do the same for the remaining dough. Place the balls on a steaming plate and steam it for 7 to 8 minutes.
4. If the balls look shiny in texture, then the balls are done. Allow it to cool down. Meantime, heat oil in a pan. Then add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add urad dal, red chilli and curry leaves.
5. Once urad dal turns golden brown, add the mini kozhukattai.
6. Give a quick stir and then add the grated coconut or coconut powder. Add salt and toss well for a minute and switch off.
Now, Ammini Kozhukattai is ready! Serve warm.
- Grease your hands with oil while rolling the rice flour dough into small balls.
- Keep the rice flour covered until you steam it.
Ammini Kozhukattai Recipe, Mini Kozhukattai Recipe below: