Arachuvitta sambar recipe. A very easy, tasty and popular south indian sambar made with freshly ground spices. An ultimate comfort food!
Archiviata sambar is quite easy to prepare, just tasty and good for you. It goes well with rice, dosa and idli. It is a very simple and nourishing sambar with lots of flavor and protein.
Archiviata sambar is all about flavor and not so much on presentation. The combination of hot cooked rice and sambar makes it a healthy and delicious meal.
Try out this perfectly harmonious arachuvitta sambar which will not only satisfy your stomach but will also touch your soul.
Toor dal/thuvaram paruppu – 1/2 cup
Tamarind – lemon sized (soak in two cups of water).
Tomato (roughly chop into 4 pieces) – 1 no.
Salt – as required
Fenugreek seeds/vendhayam – 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds/kothamalli seeds – 2 tsp
Channa dal/kadalai paruppu – 2 tsp
Red chillies – 4 nos.
Coconut (grated) – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds/kadugu – 1 tsp
Curry leaves/karuvepillai – 1 sprig
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Pressure cook toor dal (three whistles) using a cup of water. Once the pressure releases, mash the dal with a ladle. Meantime, soak tamarind in water and extract 3 cups of tamarind juice by adding water.
2. In a small pan, heat a teaspoon of oil. Add fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, channa dal, and red chillies. Once the seeds and dal turn golden brown, add grated coconut. Cook for a minute, and then switch off. Let it cool down, and transfer it to a blender.
3. Grind it coarsely. Meantime, soak tamarind in 2 cups of water and extract its juice.
4. Heat tamarind juice and add roughly chopped tomatoes. In a mixing bowl, add the coarse paste and a cup of water and mix well.
5. Once tomatoes turn little mushy, add the ground paste and stir well. Cook for two minutes, and then add cooked dal along with salt. Stir well.
6. Meantime, heat a teaspoon of oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add curry leaves. Switch off and then add the seasoning to the sambar. Give a quick stir.
Now, arachuvitta sambar is ready. Serve hot with steamed rice and poriyal.
- If you wish, you can reduce the tamarind.
- You can add vegetables like carrot, potatoes, brinjal, drumstick etc.
Arachuvitta sambar recipe, kalyana sambar recipe below: