Arisi paruppu payasam recipe
Arisi paruppu payasam is creamy and rich enough that it’s flavors are absolutely amazing. This payasam tastes so good, and has a right balance of creamy and rich flavor without being too much. Kids would find this arisi paruppu payasam to be addicting.
In this arisi paruppu payasam, rice acts as a natural thickener and hence the result would be thick and pasty. It will be one of the most comforting desserts in your family. Also, it is quite easy to make too.
You can also sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon powder and fried raisins just before serving this arisi paruppu payasam.
Preparation time. 5 minutes
Cook time. 15 minutes
Recipe cuisine. south indian
Recipe category. dessert
Raw rice/pacha arisi – 1/4 cup
Moong dal/pasi paruppu – 1 tbsp
Channa dal/kadalai paruppu – 2 tsp
Jaggery(powdered) – 1/2 cup
Milk or coconut milk – 1/2 cup
Water – 1 and 1/4 cups
Cardamom powder/elakkai podi – 1/4 tsp
Cashew nuts – 6
Ghee – 2 tsp
Salt – as required
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Immerse jaggery in water, and bring it to boil. Heat until jaggery gets dissolved completely.2. Meantime, roast cashew nuts in ghee until golden brown. Switch off and then strain the jaggery to remove impurities.
3. In a pressure cooker, heat ghee and add dals. Roast until dals get golden brown and nice aroma comes. Then add water and salt. Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles until soft and mushy. 4. Once the pressure releases, mash it well with a ladle.5. Now, add jaggery syrup and cardamom powder. Stir well and cook for 4 minutes.
6. Simmer the flame. Add milk and roasted cashew nuts. Cook for 5 more minutes. Switch off.Now, arisi paruppu payasam is ready! Serve warm or hot!
- When you add milk, simmer the flame if not milk will curdle.
- Instead of milk, you can add coconut milk and grated coconut.
Arisi paruppu payasam recipe below: