Aval Payasam Recipe, Rice Flakes Payasam. A traditional and easy payasam made with jaggery, rice flakes/aval and milk.
Aval Payasam is very simple and easy to make. As Krishna Jayanthi is around the corner, I wanted to post some payasam recipes for Krishna Jayanthi. When I was thinking what to make, I thought Aval Payasam would be the right choice. You can make Aval Payasam using two methods: sugar and jaggery. This time, I am posting Aval Payasam using jaggery method. Very soon, I will post the other method soon.
Aval/Rice Flakes/Beaten Rice – 1/2 cup
Milk (boiled) – 1 and 1/2 cups
Water – 1/2 cup
Jaggery (grated) – 1/4 cup
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Cashew Nuts – 8 nos.
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Dissolve the jaggery in half cup of water. Meantime, heat ghee in a pan and roast the cashew nuts. Keep the cashew nuts aside.
2. To the same pan, add aval/rice flakes and saute for two minutes.
3. Aval/Rice flakes will turn golden brown in color. Now add the boiled milk to the aval and cook until the aval becomes soft. Aval will start absorbing the milk.
4. By this time, jaggery would have dissolved in water completely. Now strain the jaggery to remove any impurities.
5. Add this syrup to the cooked aval milk mixture. Stir well.6. Cook for a minute and then add the roasted cashew nuts and cardamom powder. Stir well.
Aval Payasam/Poha Kheer is ready! Serve warm.
- Aval Payasam will thicken with time so switch off the stove when the payasam is in a running consistency.
- If the payasam thickens, you could add milk just before serving.
- For more rich and sweet payasam, you can add two tablespoon of condensed milk.
- You can also add the jaggery directly to the milk. If you think the jaggery has impurities, you can filter it and add it to the payasam.
- Once you fry the aval/poha, you can grind it coarsely and make payasam using the above steps. You will be done in no time.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of jaggery.
- Once you add jaggery, do not boil milk as the milk will get curdled easily. Also do not add jaggery to the hot milk.