Beans paruppu usili recipe – A healthy recipe with a combination of beans and crumbled lentils.
Few years ago, I watched a cookery show on how to make beans paruppu usili. I missed to write down the ingredients and on hearing the preparation part, I thought it is a very complex recipe.
Three years ago, one of my friends made beans paruppu usili for me. Just loved it. I learned the recipe from her and try to make at least once in a month. Whenever, I make vada curry or kozhukattai and have the stuffing as left-over, I can only think of making usili.
Beans paruppu usili is a very healthy dish as it requires very little oil. I am glad that my family likes it too. I also make the same usili with small variations using banana stem and cluster beans. I just love this protein packed dish which is crunchy and filling. Cook this dish often and stay healthy and happy!
You can serve beans paruppu usili with the following recipes:
vazhaipoo kootu/banana blossom curry
cucumber moru kootu
poosanikai mor kuzhambu
poondu rasam/garlic rasam
Preparation time. 10 minutes
Cook time. 20 minutes
Recipe category. side dish
Recipe cuisine. south indian
Yield. 3 persons
Beans (chopped) – 1 cup (you can also cut it lengthwise – size is your choice)
Toor dal/thuvaram paruppu – 1/2 cup
Channa dal/bengal gram/kadalai paruppu – 1/2 cup
Red chillies – 2 to 3 nos.
Asafoetida/perungayam/hing – a pinch
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Sambar powder – 1 tsp
Salt – as desired
Mustard seeds/kadugu – 1 tsp
Urad dal/ulutham paruppu – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 6 to 8 nos.
Oil – 2 tsp
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Soak the channa dal and toor dal in water for about two hours. Drain the water and coarsely grind the channa dal and toor dal with red chillies, asafoetida, turmeric powder, salt and little water. (Water is used just to grind the dals).
2. Put the ground mixture to the greased idly plates (brush the idly plate with few drops of oil) and steam it in a pressure cooker as you do for making idly (Make sure you don’t put weight in the cooker). Steam it for 8 to 10minutes. Remove and cool the dal idlies. (Since we have steamed the dal in the idly plates, I can call it us dal idly, right???)
3. Now, crumble the dal idly into tiny bits by hand itself.…Make sure the dal idly has completely cooled down otherwise when you crumble, you may burn your hands. In a non stick pan, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
4. When the mustard seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and beans. Saute until beans are 75% cooked. Now, add the crumbled dal mixture. Stir well for about 4 to 5 minutes in low flame. Stir continuously after you add dal otherwise dal will get burned easily at the bottom of the pan. If you think usili is dry, sprinkle little water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Now, beans paruppu usili is ready!
- You can also add grated coconut.
- Make sure the dal idly has completely cooled down otherwise when you crumble, you may burn your hands.