Beetroot thogayal recipe, beetroot chutney
I like beetroot a lot. Most of my friends frown their face when they hear about beetroot recipes. For some reason, I like them. I do not know if it is because of its color, smell or taste but I like it. Only after my wedding, I started liking it.
Whenever I buy beetroots, I make beetroot curry – sweet version and beetroot sambar. Very rarely I make beetroot halwa because Gj is not fond of desserts or sweets.
My mom, who is here with me for few days, made this recipe last monday and I just loved it. I had it continuously for two days with rice for lunch. It tasted yummy even Gj liked it. I thought I should note down the recipe and document it here. So here goes the recipe for beetroot thogayal.
Beetroot – 5
Red chillies – 7 (add more if you want it to be more spicy)
Coconut (grated) – 1/2 cup
Tamarind – small lemon size
Salt – as desired
Curry leaves – 4 leaves
Oil – 4 teaspoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Peel off the beetroot skin. Cut them roughly into small pieces. In a wide-bottomed pan, heat oil. Add red chillies and curry leaves. Lower the flame, add beetroot pieces, and stir well for five minutes.
2. Add grated coconut, salt, and tamarind and sauté well. Let it cool down completely.
3. Then grind it well in a blender without adding water.
Now, beetroot thogayal/beetroot chutney is ready! Serve with dosa or cooked rice.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of tamarind and red chillies as desired.
- If you find grinding is difficult, add very little water.
Beetroot thogayal recipe, beetroot chutney recipe below: