Black chickpeas sundal, kala channa sundal, karuppu mookadalai sundal – A south indian stir fry made with black chick peas and served as a snack.
I make sundal often at home mostly as a tea time snack. With black chickpeas, I make a black chickpeas curry and sundal. Though I prefer white chickpeas, I still make it often as it is very healthy. I make black chickpeas sundal once in two weeks. I’ve seen my friends serving black chickpeas sundal as an accompaniment to rice too.
My mom and mother-in-law make black chickpeas sundal during festive seasons and we have it along with payasam (pacha payir payasam and javvarisi semiya payasam). You know how I eat this sundal? … picking and eating it one by one. Till date, my hubby asks me how I have so much patience to eat like this. My hubby finishes it off in five minutes, whereas myself, will eat it forever.
During my childhood days, I used to eat black chickpeas sundal at my own style and my brother Vignesh would grab my sundal and finish it off. He would simply say, “if you eat it slowly, then I have to finish it off.” Then we would start fighting. Whenever I eat this sundal, I will cherish those nice memories.
Preparation time. 5 minutes
Soak time. 8 hours
Cook time. less than 20 minutes
Recipe category. snack
Recipe reference. maalai malar
Black chickpeas – 1 cup
Coconut (grated) – 1 tablespoon
Salt – as desired
Mustard seeds (kadugu) – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 5 to 7 leaves
Asafoetida (perungayam) – a pinch
Red chillies – 2 nos.
Sugar – 1/4 teaspoon
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Wash and soak black chickpeas in water overnight or for at least 8 hours. Pressure cook black chick peas using a teaspoon of salt and 4 cups of water until a whistle or 10 minutes. The cooked black chick peas should be soft enough but not mushy. Once the pressure is released, drain the water and keep the black chick peas aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and then add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add curry leaves, asafoetida and red chillies.
3. Then add the black chick peas and fry for two minutes. Add little salt (remember you have already added salt while cooking black chick peas, so add salt accordingly).Now simmer the flame and add grated coconut.
4. Stir well and then add sugar at the end. Stir once for the last time. Switch off the flame.
Now, Black Chick Peas Sundal is ready!
- You can skip the coconut but coconut gives a good taste.
- The pressure cooked water in which the chick peas have boiled can be used for kneading chappathi.
Black chickpeas sundal, kala channa sundal, karuppu mookadalai sundal recipe below: