Bread Rasmalai Recipe – A popular and rich Bengali delicacy where bread slices are soaked in sweet flavored milk and topped with nuts.
Bread Rasmalai has become my favorite sweet. I made this Bread Rasmalai when I made Rasmalai last month. It came out very well and had a similar taste just like Rasmalai.
If you don’t have paneer at home, you can use bread. That too when you are making Rasmalai for potluck or party, Bread Rasmalai would be a good option. All you have to do is make the sweetened and flavored milk and keep it ready.
While serving, add the bread slices and serve chill or warm. Once you add the bread slices, the bread would start absorbing the milk and after some time, it would become soggy. So, add the bread slices only at the time of serving.
Having said that, lets move on to the Bread Rasmalai recipe.
Preparation Time. 30 minutes
Cook Time. 20 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. North Indian
Recipe Category. Sweets
Bread – 5 slices
Milk – 4 cups
Condensed Milk – 5 tablespoon
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder/Elakka – 1/2 teaspoon
Nuts – Pista, Cashew Nuts, Almonds (Chopped) – 3 tablespoon
Saffron – 5 strands
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. In a small bowl, add saffron strands to three teaspoon of warm milk and crush it. Set it aside. Saffron will dissolve in milk and the milk would turn yellow in color.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan and under medium flame, bring milk to a boil. Add condensed milk, stir well and let it thicken until it gets reduced to half. Keep stirring in between. If milk solids form at the sides, scrap them and add it to the simmering milk. Then add the saffron milk and stir well.
3. Add sugar and mix well so that the sugar dissolves. Meantime, heat ghee in a small pan and then roast the chopped nuts until golden brown.
4. Once the nuts turn golden brown, add the nuts and cardamom powder to the simmering milk and give a quick stir. Once the milk is thickened, switch off and refrigerate it.
5. Meantime, trim the edges of the bread. Take a mould or lid and press it on the bread gently to form round circles.
6. When you are ready to serve the Rasmalai, add the bread slices and serve it immediately. Now, Bread Rasmalai is ready! Serve warm or chill!