Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil
Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil. A healthy and simple Italian appetizer that can be prepared in minutes with just a handful of ingredients.
Preparation Time. 5 minutes
Cook Time. 10 minutes
Recipe Category. Appetizer
Recipe Cuisine. Italian
Serves. 3 Persons
Baguette or French Bread – 1 no.
Tomato – 2 nos. (Roma is best!)
Basil Leaves – 8 to 10 leaves
Garlic cloves/Poondu – 4 or 5 nos.
Ground black pepper/Milagu tool – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
Olive Oil – 2 teaspoons
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Boil water in a vessel and add the tomatoes. When the skin of the tomatoes comes off or cracks, drain the water and let it cool down. Using a sharp knife, peel the skin of tomatoes and dice them into 1/4″ cubes. Remove its seeds. Add in the extra virgin olive oil, salt, ground black pepper, chopped onions, chopped garlic, and chopped basil leaves. Mix well.
2. Slice the bread diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices. Brush one side of the bread with olive oil. Heat a griddle/pan and toast the bread. Once the bread is toasted, remove it from the pan.
3. Then, rub one side of the toasted bread using slices of raw garlic just to impart garlic flavor onto the bread. Now, arrange the bread in a serving plate with olive oil side up. Place one spoon of tomato mixture on each slice of the toasted bread and serve.
Now, Bruschetta is ready!
- If you are planning to serve this dish later, then store the tomato mixture in an airtight container. Place the tomato mixture on the bread slices at the time of serving or else the bread would become soggy and not taste good.
- You could also grill the tomatoes. Its skin will wilt and get burnt. Then, you can peel its skin.
- If the tomatoes are hot, be careful while peeling the skin of the tomatoes.
- If you do not like raw onions, then either microwave it for 2 mins or just lightly saute it in a pan with a teaspoon of oil. The taste would slightly different.
- If you are not in a hurry, you can let the tomato mixture sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- You can toast the bread using a bread toaster or using coal or broiler or oven (450F or 200C).
- If you toast the bread in oven, place the bread with oil side down. Place it on the top rack of the oven. It takes 5 to 6 minutes and toast till the bread becomes crispy and its edges golden brown.
1. Why do they use Plum/Roma tomatoes instead of regular ones?
Plum/Roma tomatoes have very little watery juice, few seeds, and have thicker skin when compared to other tomatoes. Plum/Roma tomatoes will not make the bread soggy.
2. What if I do not have Plum/Roma tomatoes at home?
You can use tomatoes that you have on hand in your kitchen. Bruschetta will taste good even without Plum/Roma tomatoes.
3. What if I don’t have Baguette bread/French bread?
You can use any French bread and follow the same procedure.
Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil recipe below: