Chicken 65 Recipe, Restaurant Style Chicken 65, South Indian Chicken Fry
Chicken 65 Recipe – A popular, delicious and juicy chicken dish of South Indian served as a snack or appetizer.
Chicken 65 is my family’s favorite recipe.Chicken 65 is so delicious, juicy, and has good flavors. When you eat it, you will get a burst of flavors.Before my wedding, when we have guests at home, my dad would request my mom to make Chicken 65 as starter for the guest. My mom would have a big serving plate specifically for Chicken 65. She would either make Chicken Lollipop or Chicken 65 most often.
After my wedding, I do not get to eat Chicken 65 often because Gj is not so fond of deep fried food. He was brought up like that. You won’t believe in the past ten years, I have made Chicken 65 two versions just thrice. Though both of love it so much, we do not make it at home just because it is deep fried.
I always squeeze some lemon just before serving. Ahhhhh! My mouth is watering right now…Lemon juice gives a fantastic flavor. You do not need a side dish for this starter. It tastes great when you eat it just like that. When I make Chicken 65, I make two versions: One using cornflour and the other is this restaurant-style version. This version is the best and very similar to one that are made in restaurants.
When I made this at home, I had a surprise guest Sophia. I offered her both the versions of Chicken 65 and she said this one is the best. She like the Chicken 65 cornflour version too. Still, she said she liked the flavors more in this version of Chicken 65.
I do not know why they named this dish as Chicken 65, but we have several dishes named after this dish like Gobi 65, Paneer 65 etc. I have heard two theories why this dish is named Chicken 65. One was the dish was introduced at 1965 and hence the name. The other theory is it was listed as the 65th dish in a hotel’s menu card and hence the name. I do not know which one is true. If you know any other theories, please let me know. Non-vegetarians enjoy this restaurant-style Chicken 65, whereas vegetarians you can enjoy my Gobi 65.
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Wash the chicken pieces well, and cut them into small cubes. In a mixing bow, combine all the ingredients except oil.
2. Marinade for 1/2 hour. If you have enough time to make Chicken 65, then you can also marinade for two hours or even overnight. In medium flame, heat oil for deep frying the chicken pieces. Add chicken pieces in batches.
3. Fry them until they turn crispy and golden brown. Drain the chicken pieces on a tissue paper to remove excess oil.
Now, Chicken 65 is ready! Serve hot with raw onion slices and lemon wedges.
- Cook chicken in medium flame. In high flame, the chicken will be crispy and golden brown outside but uncooked inside. In low flame, the chicken will absorb lot of oil and turn hard.
- Tender chicken thigh part is the best for Chicken 65.
- Instead of red food color, you can add kashmiri chilli powder to give a strong red color to this dish.
- You can use chicken with bones too. If you are using chicken with bones, then make some incisions and fry on low-medium flame.
Chicken 65 Recipe, Restaurant Style Chicken 65 recipe below: