Chole Palak Recipe,Palak Chole,Chana Palak. A healthy and delicious protein-rich curry made with chick peas, spinach and simple spices.
Every Thursday, I would make Chana sundal for pooja. I would soak some extra chick peas to make some curry out of chick peas. This week I thought I’ll make the quite famous dish “Chole Palak”. I made it for dinner and we all loved it.
Chole Palak goes well with rice as well as Rotis. It is such a healthy recipe because it has goodness of both chana as well as spinach. What more do you want? Try this recipe and have a healthy lunch or dinner.
Preparation Time. 5 minutes
Soak Time. 9 hours
Cook Time. 40 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. Indian
Recipe Category. Lunch
Chickpeas/Garbanzo/Konda Kadalai – 1 cup
Spinach (Chopped) – 3 cups
Coriander Powder – 1 tablespoon
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – as required
Tomatoes (Chopped) – 2 nos.
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Green Chilly – 1 no.
Oil – 3 tablespoon
Asafoetida/Hing/Perungayam – 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds/Jeeragam – 1 teaspoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity
1. Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight or at least for 8 hours in 3 cups of water. After 8 hours, the chickpeas should have doubled in size. Now, pressure cook chick peas using 3 cups of water and little salt for 5-6 whistles or until soft. Drain the chickpeas and reserve its stock.
2. Blend tomatoes, green chilli and ginger to a fine puree. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan, and then let the cumin seeds sizzle. Then add asafoetida.Now add the tomato puree and cook for a minute.
4. Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder. Stir well and cook for three to four minutes.
5. Once the tomato mixture reduces about half in quantity and leaves oil on its sides, add the chopped spinach and salt.
6. Stir well and then add a cup of water. Cook covered for five more minutes. Add the chick peas and mash them lightly.
7. Stir well and then add garam masala. Cook on medium heat for six to seven minutes and then switch off.
Now, Chole Palak is ready! Serve with Roti, Naan, and Rice.
Chole Palak Recipe, Palak Chole, Chana Palak recipe below: