Cream of mushroom soup, vegetarian cream of mushroom soup
I make a variety of soups during winter season. I do not get time to click pictures and post it here. When Gj returns from work, I would serve him soup and breadsticks. Not on all days, but thrice a week. It is very difficult for me to take pictures in the evening because in my current kitchen, the light would be right above my stove. If I use flash, then all my pictures would be too bright. It is definitely a challenge for me.
When I plan to post a recipe for my blog, I get up early and do it in the morning when both sanvi and Gj are not at home. Generally, I make soups in the evening. When Gj comes from work, he needs to have something or the other right away. I cannot ask him to wait.
Soups generally taste best when they are served directly from the stove. This is one reason why I do not post soup recipes much here. I am planning to post a variety of soup recipes soon. Let’s see…I made this creamy mushroom soup yesterday along with garlic bread. It turned out very yummy. I have made this soup several times.
Whenever I have guests at home during winter, I love to serve them with this creamy mushroom soup. I learned this recipe from my mom. I have used less cream (just a teaspoon) in this soup, but if you want, you could add a tablespoon of cream. The milk and butter makes this soup very creamy and yummy, so I did not find a reason to use more cream. Still, in the ingredients section, I have said add one tablespoon of cream. Again, if you want it to be more richer in flavor, go ahead and add cream.
So here come the recipe of cream of mushroom soup…
Mushroom (chopped) – 1/4 cup
Onion (chopped) – 1
Garlic – 1.5 tsp
Warm milk – 1 cup
All purpose flour/maida – 1 tbsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
Pepper powder/milagu thool – 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg powder – a pinch (optional)
Spring onion (chopped) – 2 tsp
Salt – as required
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. In a pan, melt the butter and add chopped onions followed by garlic. Fry until the onions turn translucent.2. Add chopped mushroom pieces. At this stage, mushrooms will release water. Saute until the water dries up and mushrooms turn light brown. Then add the all purpose flour/maida. Saute for two minutes.3. Add warm milk and the mixture will start to thicken. Stir often to avoid lumps. Now add salt and pepper powder. Give a quick stir and simmer the flame. Add fresh cream and cook for two more minutes. When the soup becomes thick and creamy, add chopped spring onions and nutmeg powder. Stir quickly and switch off the stove.Now, cream of mushroom soup is ready! Serve hot.
- For extra flavor, you can add bay leaves and a dash of cinnamon powder.
- Simmer the flame and then add the cream. If not, the cream may curdle.
- You can use any variety of mushrooms.
- I used 2% milk because Gj does not prefer whole milk. You can use full fat milk to get a rich and creamy soup.
- I have used spring onions. You can use coriander leaves too.
Cream of mushroom soup recipe below: