Dal makhani recipe, punjabi dal makhani
Dal makhani has a rich flavor because of ghee and cream and goes well with rotis, parathas and naan. Usually dal makhani recipe is made on occasions like birthdays, anniversary celebration, weddings etc. because of it rich flavor.
Gj and myself like dal makhani so much, but it should have less ghee and cream. Whenever I am lazy or busy, I make dal makhani recipe and keep it for the next day also. It taste even more better on the second day. I add just two teaspoons of ghee, and I omit the cream. Gj is not a big fan of cream. He likes dal makhani just because it is healthy so he would not want me to add ghee or cream. I added cream just for the pictures. When you make dal makhani, just mash the dal well. It is very easy to make just that you have to plan beforehand to soak the lentils.
Whole urad dal/black gram – 1 cup
Red kidney beans/rajma – 1/2 cup
Onion (chopped) – 1
Green chillies – 4 to 5 nos. (increase/decrease as per your taste)
Ginger (chopped) – 1 inch
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Chilli powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
Ghee/Oil – 2 tbsp
Full fat cream – 3 tbsp (optional)
Salt – as desired
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Wash and soak the lentils in six cups of water for eight hours/overnight. If you are making dal makhani in the morning, soak it overnight. If you are making it for the dinner, then soak it in the morning. Cook the lentils in an open vessel with four cups of water and little salt until rajma and urad dal are very soft. You can pressure cook them by adding four cups of water with little salt for 3 to 4 whistles. Strain it and reserve the stock.2. Now using a ladle, mash the cooked rajma and urad dal well. Keep it aside.3. Heat oil/ghee in a pan and add cumin powder. Then add chopped onion, ginger and green chillies. Saute well until onion turns transparent.
4. Add chilli powder and salt (remember you have added salt whie boiling rajma and urad dal). Stir well and then add the mashed rajma and urad dal along with its stock.
5. Now add garam masala powder, and cook for three to four minutes. Simmer the flame and add cream (optional). Cook for two minutes and then add a teaspoon of lemon juice and coriander leaves. Give a quick stir and switch off the flame.Now dal makhani is ready! Serve hot with naan, parathas, kulchas and chappathi.
- You can add cumin seeds instead of cumin powder.
- Dal makhani taste better on the second day. Make sure you reheat it.
- Adding ghee and cream is optional.
Dal makhani recipe, punjabi dal makhani recipe below: