Date wheels recipe, date pinwheels, date pin wheel cookies
Tips for a beginner baker:
basics of baking a cake
cake baking problems & causes
how to preheat oven
Preparation time.15 minutes
Resting time. 6 and 1/2 hours
Bake time. 45 minutes
Recipe cuisine. international
Recipe category. dessert
All purpose flour/maida – 200gm
Sugar – 4 teaspoon
Butter – 1/2 cup
Ice or cold water – 6 tablespoon
Salt – a pinch
Dates – 1 cup
Cashew nuts – 1/2 cup
Strawberry jam (use any jam) – 2 teaspoon
Vanilla essence – a drop (optional)
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. In a mixing bowl, add all purpose flour, sugar, salt, cold water, and butter. Knead well.
2. Cover the kneaded dough using a lid. Refrigerate the kneaded dough for few hours (say 5-6 hours). Refrigeration will help the dough become little hard. After few hours, let the kneaded dough sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes in order to soften just enough to make rolling out a bit easier.
Sprinkle little all purpose flour on the rolling surface, and roll out the refrigerated dough to a round circle. The thickness of the round circle should neither be thick nor thin. As you roll out the dough, check if the dough is sticking to the surface below. If necessary, add little flour under the dough to keep the dough from sticking the rolling surface.
3. For the stuffing, add dates, cashews, vanilla essence, and jam in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
4. Place the stuffing in the middle of the round circle. Now, starting at a short side, roll up like a jelly roll. Once you have rolled till the end, cut off the remaining edges.5. Keep the rolled date pastry in a Glad wrap (any plastic cover or even ziplock), and refrigerate it for 1/2 hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Apply butter in the cake pan or put a parchment paper. Sprinkle little all purpose flour on top. Take out the rolled date pastry from Glad wrap and place the date pastry in the cake pan. Keep it in the center of the oven.
6. Bake for 45 minutes until the date pastry turn golden brown. When Date Wheel is ready, take it out from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. When it is mild hot, cut the pastry into small wheels like that of round slices.
Now, date wheels is ready!
- Store date wheels in an airtight container.
- Use only ice or cold water for kneading.
- If you are in a hurry, refrigerate the kneaded dough for at least an hour.
Date wheels recipe, date pinwheels, date pin wheel cookies recipe below: