Ellu Podi Recipe. A very easy and flavorful podi usually served with idli or steamed rice with a dash of ghee.
I will always have some podi at home. Mostly I’ll make Kollu Podi/Horsegram Powder (Dal) often and will always have two teaspoons of Kollu Podi/Horsegram Powder everyday. Apart from Kollu Podi, I will have Idli Milagai Podi at home as the days when I could not make chutney, I could make Fried Idli or have it with dosa and idli. However, I do not make ellu podi often, but Sanvi is the one who likes ellu podi the most.
Nowadays, I make ellu podi for her and she relishes it with dosa and idly. I thought I should share Ellu Podi recipe here, so here it is for you to try out…Enjoy with dosa and idli.
Preparation Time. 2 minutes
Cook Time. 10 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. Indian
Recipe Reference. Saiva Samaygal
Recipe Category. Side
Yield. 1 and 1/2 cups
White Sesame Seeds/Vellai Ellu – 1 cup
Chana Dal/Kadalai Paruppu – 2 teaspoon
Urad Dal/Ulutham Paruppu – 2 teaspoon
Asafoetida/Hing/Perungayam – tamarind seed size
Red Chillies – 10 nos.
Salt – 1.5 teaspoon
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity
1. In medium low flame, dry roast sesame seeds until nice aroma comes and also till it turns light golden brown. Make sure you don’t over roast it or else the recipe would go waste. Set aside and cool it down completely.
2. Then heat a teaspoon of oil in low flame, and add asafoetida. Once it sizzles, add red chillies, chana dal, and urad dal.
3. Fry them till it turns golden brown. Set aside and cool it down completely.4. Once the ingredients have cooled down completely, transfer them to the blender and grind them coarsely along with salt and roasted sesame seeds.
Now, Ellu Podi is ready! Add a dash of ghee or gingelly oil and serve it witth dosa and idli.
- Make sure you don’t roast the sesame seeds until dark brown. The recipe would go waste.
- If you grind the ingredients in pestle and mortar, it would add more flavor.
Ellu Podi Recipe,Sesame Seeds Powder Recipe below: