Gobi 65 recipe, cauliflower 65 recipe
Here is the gobi 65 recipe that I mentioned in my last post. Gobi 65 is a juicy and crispy dish usually served as a snack/starter. It is a famous dish like by almost everyone. Since it is a deep fry dish, I do not make it often but when I make, I usually pair it up with vegetable pulao or vegetable biryani.
The most important step in this recipe is the marination part. The more your marinade time, the more tastier would this dish be. You should cut the cauliflower into small florets and parboil it. If you boil it too much, then the cauliflower florets would turn soggy when you marinade and deep fry it. So be careful while parboiling it. If the cauliflower is half-boiled, it is more than enough. Also, fry cauliflower florets in batches. Do not overcrowd them. This is a very tasty snack and your kids will love it.
Other starter recipes you may like:
Preparation time. 10 minutes
Marination time. 15-20 minutes
Cook time. 15 minutes
Recipe category. starter/snack
Recipe cuisine. indian
Cauliflower florets – 1 medium / 20 florets (medium-sized)
Curd/yoghurt (thick) – 1.5 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
Corn flour – 4 tbsp
Cooking soda or baking soda – a pinch
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Curry leaves – a sprig
Salt – as required
Oil – to deep fry
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Separate the cauliflower into small florets. In a vessel, add enough water to cover the cauliflower, a pinch of turmeric powder and salt and parboil the cauliflower. Make sure you do not completely boil them. It should only be parboiled. Drain them. Meantime, in a mixing bowl add curd/yoghurt, ginger garlic paste, cornflour, cooking soda or baking soda, red chilli powder, salt and curry leaves.
2. Combine to form a semi-runny marination paste. Marinade the cauliflower florets in the mixture for 15-20 minutes. Cauliflower florets should be well coated in the batter. In medium flame, heat oil for deep frying.
3. Then fry the cauliflower florets along with curry leaves in batches until the cauliflower and curry leaves turn crispy and golden brown. Actually, I forgot to fry the curry leaves along with the cauliflower florets so I did it at the end.
Now, gobi 65 is ready! Serve hot with raw onion slices and lemon wedges.
- Parboil will help the cauliflower florets to be coated well in the batter. Otherwise while deep frying, the outer covering will separate while frying.
- Do not add more cooking soda.
- You can also deep fry the green chillies along with the cauliflower florets.
- Adding turmeric powder while parboiling the cauliflower florets is optional.
- Do not overcrowd the pan with too many florets. Fry them in small batches.
Gobi 65 recipe, cauliflower 65 recipe below: