Green gram dal payasam, pacha payir payasam, moong dal kheer. A mouth-watering and tasty kheer made with milk and green moong dal.
My mom’s makes green gram dal payasam very often. It is my family’s favorite payasam. Compared to some payasams, I feel green gram dal kheer is quite healthy because of the green gram.
I cannot express how much I like this green gram dal kheer. I will break the appalam into pieces and add it to the payasam. Then I will eat it very slowly relishing the taste. My mom makes this green gram dal kheer as evening tiffin for us when we come from school. If she makes appalam along with the payasam, then it is an added bonus (happiness) for me. I can never say no to this green gram dal payasam. Just love it.
Preparation time. 5 minutes
Cook time. 25 minutes
Recipe cuisine. Indian
Recipe category. Dessert
Green moong dal/pacha payir – 1 cup
Milk – 2 cups
Rice – 1/4 cup
Water – 1.5 cups
Sago/Javvarisi – 1/4 cup
Sugar – 1 cup (as desired)
Cardamom/elakkai – 4 nos.
Cashew nuts/mundhiri paruppu – 10 – 15 nos.
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. In a cooker, add green moong dal and rice followed by six glasses of water. Pressure cook the dal and rice for six whistles.Open the cooker lid only when the pressure has released completely.
2. Boil 1.5 cups of water in a pan. Add sago (javvarisi), reduce the flame, and allow it to cook until it turns transparent. Keep stirring occasionally, and when the sago turns translucent, remove from heat and keep it aside. Let it stand for ten minutes.
3. Add the cooked sago (javvarisi) along with its water to the cooked dal and rice. Stir once. In a small pan, fry the cashew nuts and cardamom until golden brown using a teaspoon of ghee.
4. Now add the fried cashew nuts and cardamom. Add desired amount of sugar and specified quantity of milk. Stir well.
Now, green gram dal payasam/moong dal kheer is ready!
- Keep stirring continuously so that sago doesn’t stick to the sides and bottom of the pan.