Homemade brown rice flour – Making your own brown rice flour is very easy and simple!
My readers would know that most of the times, I make cakes using all purpose flour – gluten-free just because all purpose flour is not good for health. I started using it since two years. I make it using corn flour, rice flour and gluten-free all purpose flour.
Whole foods store usually sell organic brown rice or flour. I usually buy it from them. Only after a year or so, I compared the price of brown rice flour and the brown rice that I bought from stores. It was quite expensive and when you make homemade brown rice flour at home, you definitely save $$.
When I learned how easy it is to make homemade brown rice flour in less than 5 minutes, I took a deep breath because of relief that I can now make my own brown rice flour. I don’t have to run here and there to buy the brown rice flour because sometimes, it would go out of stock. Also you can avoid the gluten contamination when you make it in your kitchen.
I promise making your own flour certainly would save you significant amount of money. Having said that, let’s move on the preparation.
Preparation time. 5 minutes
Yield. around 1 and 1/2 cups
Brown rice – 1 cup
1. Pick any sticks, stones or dirt if present from the brown rice. Then transfer it to a blender and grind until fine.2. Then sieve the ground brown rice flour to remove any lumps. If there are tiny lumps present, you can grind them fine along with the next batch of brown rice.Your homemade brown rice flour is ready.
- Your blender should be completely dry while grinding the brown rice.
- If you are going to grind the brown rice just once a week in small batch of one or two, it is fine. If not grind the rice in a mill or in a blender like vitamix, blendtec or cuisinart.
- Remember, if you grind brown rice in large batches very often in your blender, it will wear out your blades.
- You can also wash rice and let it dry out in sunlight for 4 to 6 hours. When it is completely dry, then you can grind it in a blender.
How to store brown rice flour?
Freeze the brown rice flour covered in a freezer-safe bowl. Freeze until needed. Only remove and thaw as much as you will be using at a time. Do not continually thaw and refreeze the same flour. If kept in freezer, the brown rice flour would come for about 5 months.
Homemade brown rice flour recipe below: