Homemade peas rice puree, peas baby food recipes – A homemade puree for babies made with peas and rice.
Shreeya likes peas rice puree very much. I started giving her this puree recently when she turned 6 months old. I give it to her for lunch twice a week.
Adding rice to the peas puree makes it quite heavy for her, and she sleeps well after having the peas rice puree. Moreover, Rice provides lot of energy. I think most of the babies like peas rice puree because of the sweetness from the peas.
If you are using fresh peas, you may find it little difficult to puree the skin smoothly. I always use frozen peas so it makes my work much easier. You can try a lot of combinations with peas. Peas goes well with many veggies and fruits.
Health benefits of peas
- are rich in minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants.
- are a good source of proteins, and soluble as well as insoluble fiber.
- are an excellent source of folic acid.
- helps body develop resistance against infectious agents.
- helps lower cholesterol levels in the body.
- helps in bone mass building function.
- improves bowel health.
When should you introduce peas?
Peas are usually recommended for babies between 6 to 8 months old. Please discuss with your pediatrician just before giving it to your baby because generalities may not apply to your child. It is a good idea to introduce one food at a time waiting 4 days before another new food can be introduced just to make sure your baby is not allergic to it.
Preparation time. 5 minutes
Cook time. 20 minutes
Baby’s age. from 6-8 months
Frozen peas – 1 cup
Cooked rice – 2 tablespoon
Water – 1/4 cup
1. Wash the peas well and cook the rice. In a saucepan, add very little amount of water say 1/4 cup and boil it. Add the peas to the boiling water.
2. Boil the peas well. Once the peas are soft and cooked, transfer the peas along with its water to the blender and grind it along with the rice until it is smooth.Now, peas rice puree is ready!
How to select and store peas
Fresh pods should be heavy, full, firm and crispy. Pods should also appear fresh and bright green in color. Avoid the yellow colored pods. Peas have short-term life so use it soon.
- When you use fresh peas, trim away the stalk and thin fiber along the suture line. Split open the stalk and take out the green seeds. It is quite difficult to puree its skin smoothly. In this case, strain the puree through a strainer or sieve before feeding the baby.
- For a nice flavor, cookpeas in a homemade vegetable or chicken stock. Avoid canned peas as they contain lot of salt/sugar. Also excessive processing would have ripped the nutrients present in them.
- You can freeze the peas and rice puree for a month and refrigerate for a day.Once you refrigerate, the peas and rice puree may thicken. If it thickens, add breast milk or water.
Homemade peas rice puree recipe below: