Schezwan sauce recipe, homemade schezwan sauce recipe
Schezwan sauce recipe. A delicious, spicy and easy to make. Homemade schezwan sauce recipe is zillion times better than jarred schezwan sauce.
When you visit your favorite chinese restaurants, you will find several dishes with the name schewan on their menu card. For example, schezwan fried rice, schezwan noodles, schezwan tofu, schezuapn baby potatoes etc.
You can make several dishes using this schezwan sauce like schezwan fried rice, schezwan noodles, schezwan tofu, schezwan baby potatoes etc. If you are super lazy, you can even slather some schezwan sauce onto your parathas and just wrap it up. It would make a good snack.
Schezwan sauce is very spicy. Believe me, it is fiery hot. It is full of chillies and garlic flavor. Still, many spice lovers will dip egg rolls or momos or spring rolls in this schezwan dip multiple times and would slather in it.
To make this schezwan sauce, you need a lot of red chillies. If you love chinese hot and spicy food, I would say you can make this schezwan dip at home in batches and use it to make your favorite chinese dishes. If you refrigerate it, it stays good for a month. If you are not a spice lover but would like to try a schezwan dish like schezwan fried rice or schezwan noodles for the first time, you can make a small batch of schezwan by reducing the red chillies. My husband cannot withstand spiciness, so I reduce the red chillies and make this schezwan sauce.
Today, let’s learn how to make schezwan sauce. Now onto the recipe!
Preparation time. 10 minutes
Soak time. 30 minutes
Cook time. 10 minutes
Recipe cuisine. indo chinese
Recipe category. dip/sauce
Yield. 1/2 cup
Dry red chillies/kanja molagai – 20
Garlic cloves/poondu pal (chopped finely) – 10
Ginger (chopped finely) – 1 tsp
Soy sauce – 1/4 tsp
Rice vinegar or apple cedar vinegar or white vinegar – 1 tbsp
Black pepper powder/milagu thool – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
Tomato sauce – 1 tbsp
Vegetable oil or sesame oil – 3 to 4 tbsp
Salt – as required
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Remove the stem part of the chillies and de-seed them. De-seeding will reduce the spiciness of the sauce. Soak the red chillies in hot water for at least 30 minutes. Drain the red chillies and reserve the water. Transfer the drained red chillies to a mixer.2. Grind it once and then add the reserved water to the mixer. Grind it again to a smooth paste. Set aside.3. Heat oil in a pan. Add the chopped ginger and garlic and saute until the raw smell goes away. Make sure you don’t brown them. Then add the ground paste.4. Lower the flame and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. When the oil starts to leave, add soy sauce and vinegar. Stir well and cook for 3 minutes.5. Now add tomato sauce, pepper powder and salt. Give a quick stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Let it cool down completely and then store it in an airtight jar. Now, schezwan sauce is ready!
- You can add adjust the quantity of red chillies as per your level of spiciness.
- You can add 1 or 2 tsp of sugar to add little sweetness to the sauce.
- You can also add finely chopped celery.
- You don’t have to de-seed the red chillies. I de-seeded them just to reduce the spiciness.
- You can make this sauce using kashmiri red chillies or sichuan pepper. I did not have them, so I used the regular red chillies.
- Make sure you add enough oil (i.e) the oil should float on the top of the sauce. The oil will help the sauce to stay good for a month.