Javvarisi semiya payasam, vermicelli sago kheer, vermicelli sabudana kheer
Javvarisi semiya payasam, vermicelli sago kheer, vermicelli sabudana kheer. A rich and droolworthy payasam made with vermicelli/semiya, sago and milk.
My mom makes javvarisi semiya payasam for all the occasions. Sometimes, I like to have javvarisi semiya payasam along with pappadam and also with vadai. I used to think I had a weird taste of eating payasam with appalam and vadai but then came to know some of my friends also eat it this way.
Though there are so many payasams, for some reason my mom makes this javvarisi semiya payasam often. It makes your stomach heavy because of the sago and vermicelli. I wanted to post this recipe since long time. Finally I am doing it now.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20-25 mins
Recipe category: sweet
Recipe cuisine: Indian
Serves: 2-3 persons
Vermicelli/semiya – 1/2 cup
Sago/javvarisi – 1/3 cup
Milk – 2 cups
Sugar – 1/2 cup (for more sweetness, add more sugar)
Water – 1/2 to 3/4 cup
Cardamom powder/elaichi powder – 1/2 tsp or (3 to 4 nos.)
Raisins – 10 nos.
Saffron – a pinch (optional)
Cashew nuts – 10 nos.
Ghee – 2 tsp
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Boil 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of water in a pan. Add the javvarasi/sago to the boiling water and cook until they become transparent and soft. In another pan, fry cashew nuts until golden brown.
2. Fry raisins in a teaspoon of ghee until raisins plump up. Add them to the boiling water. In another pan, fry the vermicelli/semiya in a teaspoon of ghee until it turns golden color. This will take three to four minutes. Keep the vermicelli aside. If your vermicelli is roasted, then you can skip this step.
3. When sago is almost cooked (sago should become transparent and bigger in size), add the vermicelli/semiya to the boiling water. Vermicelli will get cooked in the boiling water in a couple of minutes.Now add sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves completely. After fifteen minutes, it will thicken.
4. Then add milk followed by cardamom powder and saffron(optional). Adjust the consistency by adding more or less milk. Boil until the kheer reaches your desired consistency.
Now, javvarisi semiya payasam is ready! Serve it warm or cold!
- Rinse sago well in running water to remove excessive starch or else sago will become sticky.
- For fast cooking, soak sago in water just before cooking for about 30 minutes.
- You can add any nuts of your choice.
- You can also powder the nuts and add it to the kheer.
- You could add condensed milk instead of sugar for rich flavor. Do not add both as the kheer would become very sweet.
- You can also add 1/2 the quantity of sugar and 1/2 the quantity of jaggery but the taste would differ.
- If kheer thickens, add more milk and sugar accordingly and boil it for two to three minutes.
Javvarisi semiya payasam, vermicelli sago kheer, vermicelli sabudana kheer recipe below: