Jeera rice recipe, jeera pulao, cumin rice. A mildly spiced and flavorful Indian rice made with ghee and rice.
Preparation time. 15 minutes
Cook time. 15 minutes
Recipe category. lunch
Recipe cuisine. indian
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Onion (chopped) – 1 no.
Green chillies (slitted)- 2 nos.
Water – 2 and 1/4 cups
Coriander leaves – few sprigs (optional)
1. Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 20 minutes. Drain the water and keep the water aside. Heat ghee and oil in a pan. Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise and cashews. Fry for few seconds and then add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds start to splutter, add chopped onions. When onions turn transparent, add slitted green chillies. Fry for a minute.2. Now, add the drained rice and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt and coriander leaves. Add 2 and 1/4 cups of reserved water and bring it to boil. Close the pan with a lid and cook in medium-high flame until the water is almost absorbed. Mix gently in between so that rice does not stick to the bottom. It takes about 7 to 8 minutes. Now, sim the fire and cook for another 5 minutes. Fluff the rice gently with a fork. Garnish with coriander leaves.Now, jeera rice is ready! Serve hot with your choice of side dish or gravy.
- If you wish you could sprinkle saffron color or saffron milk on top.
- You can also garnish with mint leaves (pudina).
- You can also fry onions separately until they turn golden brown and then add it as a garnish when the rice is done.
- You can also use long grained rice but will have less flavor than basmati rice.
- You can also add pepper powder to add extra spice.
- Instead of using butter + oil, you can add just ghee.
- Just fry cumin seeds for few seconds but take care not to burn them.
- You can also use shah jeera instead of cumin seeds.
- You can also use veggies like mushroom, peas, corn, carrot and potatoes.
Jeera rice recipe, jeera pulao, cumin rice recipe below: