Keerai paniyaram recipe, spinach paniyaram – A south indian snack made with leftover idli batter and spinach.
During my childhood days, we would have a get together at my paternal grandmother’s place during pongal and diwali. All our cousins would meet and have load of fun. My grandmother would make a variety of paniyarams for us like pal paniyaram, masala paniyaram, egg paniyaram etc.
Whenever I have leftover idli dosa batter at home, I would make paniyaram. Last weekend when I spoke to my friend, she told me about keerai paniyaram. I had never heard of it before. I thought I should give keerai paniyaram recipe a try, but my friend did not have the recipe. I then came up with my own keerai paniyaram recipe. It worked out and the keerai paniyaram came out super soft and delicious. Try it out and serve the paniyarams with coconut chutney.
Spinach – 1 cup
Idli dosa batter – 2 cups
Onions (finely chopped) – 1/4 cup
Garlic (finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 tsp
Green chillies (finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
Water – 1/4 cup
Salt – as required
Oil – as needed
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Boil the spinach in 1/4 cup of water. Once the spinach is boiled, let it cool down.
2. Transfer spinach to a blender and then grind it to a fine paste.
3. Add the ground spinach paste to the idli dosa batter. Combine well. Add the chopped onion, garlic, ginger, and salt to the spinach batter. Stir well.
4. Heat the panorama pan, and add few drops of oil in each mould. In medium-low flame, pour the batter with the help of a spoon in each mould till they are 3/4th full. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn the paniyaram in each mould upside down with the help of a stick or spoon and let the other side also cook for 2-3 minutes. Add few more drops of oil if needed. The paniyarams should turn golden brown. Insert a clean toothpick and if it comes out clean, then the paniyarams are cooked. Transfer the paniyaram to a container and then repeat the same with the rest of the batter.
Now, keerai paniyaram is ready! Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- You can add sambar onions instead of regular onions.
- Be careful while adding salt as the idly dosa batter already has salt in it.
- Never cook paniyarams on high flame as they will not be cooked inside.
Keerai paniyaram recipe, spinach paniyaram recipe below: