Keerai rice, greens rice, keerai sadam recipe. A simple and nutritional rice that contains loads of greens in it.
If you are looking for more rice recipes, then you might refer my rice collection post.
Rice – 1 cup
Greens – 3 cups (add any greens – I have used spinach)
Onion (chopped) – 2 nos.
Roasted gram/pottukadalai – 1/4 cup
Coconut (grated) – 1/4 cup
Peppercorns/milagu – 8 nos. (You can also use pepper powder)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Red chillies – 2 to 3 nos. (if you like the rice to be spicy, add more red chillies)
Asafoetida/perungayam/hing – a pinch
Cashew nuts – 10 nos.
Lemon – 1 no.
Salt – as desired
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon/pattai – 1 no.
Bay leaf/brinji – 1 no.
Clove/lavangam – 1 no.
Cardamom – 1 no.
Note. The quantity listed under the ingredients differs in the original picture.
1. Heat ghee in the pressure cooker. Add cinnamon, bay leaf, clove and cardamom. Add chopped onions and fry until they turn transparent. Now add cashew nuts and red chillies. Once cashew nuts turn golden in color, add roasted gram. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Add greens and ginger garlic paste. Fry well until the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes off. Add rice and fry for 2 minutes. Then add finely grated coconut and peppercorns. Extract juice from a lemon and add it now. Stir well once.
3. Add two cups of water and salt. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Put weight and wait till you hear three whistles.
4. Wait for some time and once the pressure comes down, open the cooker.
Now, keerai Sadam is ready. Serve with raita and papad.
- You can also add both ghee and oil. In this case, add two teaspoon of ghee and two teaspoon of oil.
- You can replace red chillies by green chillies.
Keerai rice, greens rice, keerai sadam recipe below: