Konda kadalai kuzhambu, chick peas kuzhambu. A healthy and delicious gravy made with chick peas and freshly ground spices and served with steamed rice.
Gj is quiet fond of kuzhambu recipes, but I don’t make it often. Last week, Gj wanted me to make some curry with konda kadalai/channa. Then I thought I’ll make konda kadalai kuzhambu. It is quiet easy to make and tastes so good with dosa/idli and rice. I made this kuzhambu and had it with rice for lunch. For dinner, I served this kuzhambu along with dosa and idli.
Konda kadalai kuzhambu does not have coconut in it, so I would certainly say that it is a healthy kuzhambu for all of us. You should all try it. Even your kids will love it and ask you for more.
Chick peas – 1 cup
Onion (chopped) – 4 nos.
Tomatoes (cut each into four pieces) – 4 nos.
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 6 tbsp
Salt – as required
Water – as required
To fry & grind
Sambar onions (cut into two) – 1 cup
Cumin seeds/jeeragam – 1/2 tsp
Red chillies – 5 nos.
Cinnamon – 2 nos.
Cloves – 2 nos.
Poppy seeds – 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds – 4 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
Curry leaves – 4 leaves
Garlic – 5 cloves
Oil – 3 teaspoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight or at least for six hours in three cups of water. After six hours, the chickpeas would double in size. Now, pressure cook chick peas using three cups of water and little salt for 5-6 whistles or until soft. Drain the chickpeas and reserve its stock.
2. Heat three teaspoons of oil in a pan. Fry onions until transparent followed by red chillies, and coriander seeds. Once coriander seeds turn light brown, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, garlic, cinnamon, and coriander powder followed by poppy seeds.
3. Fry for about two minutes and then set aside to cool down completely. Now transfer the ingredients to a blender and, add little water.
4. Grind it to a smooth paste. In a pan, heat oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Add curry leaves and chopped onion. Saute for two minutes.
5. Add tomatoes and saute for a minute. Now add the cooked chick peas and stir well.
6. Finally add the ground paste, salt and little water. In medium flame, cook for about 10 minutes or until the kuzhambu thickens.
Now, chick peas kuzhambu is ready! Serve hot with rice, idli and dosa.
Konda kadalai kuzhambu, chick peas kuzhambu recipe below: