All purpose flour/Maida/Plain flour – 1/2 cup
Cashew nuts (mundhiri paruppu) – 10 nos.
Sugar – 1 cup
Ghee/Vegetable oil/Dalda – 1/4 cup
Vanilla essence – 4 drops
Food color (any color) – a pinch (I used yellow food color)
Water – for making sugar syrup
Cardamom powder (elakka thool) – 1/2 teaspoon
1. In a mixing bowl, put maida and cardamom powder. Fry cashew nuts in Ghee and add it to the mixing bowl.
2. In a non stick pan, heat the Ghee. The Ghee should be hot. Then, in low flame add the maida flour mixture little by little and stir well until the maida gets fried evenly. Keep it aside. In the same pan, dissolve the sugar in water and bring it to boil.
Maida flour should get roasted evenly. Also make sure you do not over burn it and change its color.
3. Add the vanilla essence and the food color to the boiling sugar and water. Keep boiling the sugar and water (syrup) until a drop of syrup leaves one string between your thumb and finger.
4. Add the fried maida and keep on stirring till the mixture gets thickened. Switch off the flame. Grease the plate using Ghee, and spread the mixture in the plate. Level the burfi using a spoon or a zip lock.
5. After the burfi cools down but still warm, grease the knife and cut into desired shapes. When the burfi completely cools down, invert the plate with the burfis into another plate by tapping the plate gently. Transfer the burfis into an airtight container.
Now, the Maida Burfi is ready!
You can skip Ghee and make this burfi using vegetable oil.
You can use any food color you want.
You can make several versions using this recipe as the base. The versions are:
1. When you add cocoa powder in step 4, it becomes Chocolate Burfi.
2. During step 3, you could divide the mixture into two parts. Add color 1 to part 1 mixture. Add color 2 to part 2 mixture. When you transfer it to a greased plate, put the color 1 mixture as the base and then put the color 2 mixture at the top. This will get you a double layered colored Burfi.
3. Add pista essence and green color to make Pista Burfi.
4. Add lemon essence and yellow color to make Lemon Burfi.