Mambazha Pulissery Recipe – Mambazha Pulissery is an easy and popular dish served in Onam Sadya. The curry will have a mixture of flavors: sweetness, tanginess and spiciness. It goes well with rice and some spicy curry as a side dish.
My regular readers will know how much I like Moru Kuzhambu recipes. In Kerala, we call Mor Kuzhambu as Pulissery. They make pulissery with seasonal fruits like Mango, Nendran Pazham, Pineapple etc. I have also posed few Moru Kuzhambu recipes in the past like Cucumber Moru Kootu, Poosanikai Mor Kuzhambu and Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu.
I wanted to post Mambazha Pulissery recipe last year itself, but was busy posting other mango recipes.
Usually, nattu mangai is used for making Mambazha Pulissery, but I do not get nattu mangai here. So I have used ripe mangoes. Also, this recipe uses very less oil so that is also a reason why you should try this Mambazha Pulissery.
Try it out and let me know how it comes. I am eagerly waiting for your emails or comments.
Preparation Time. 5 minutes
Cook Time. 10 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. Kerela
Recipe Category. Lunch
Mangoes (Ripe) – 4 nos.
Sour Curd/Yoghurt (Thick) – 2 Cups
Curry Leaves – few sprigs
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Green Chillies (Slitted) – 5 nos.
Coconut (Grated,Fresh) – 2 Cup
Coconut Oil – 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Dried Red Chillies – 1 or 2 nos.
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Wash the mangoes, and peel it. Cut the mangoes into small pieces. In a pan, add about 2 cups of water along with mango pieces and bring to a boil. Then simmer it for about 5 minutes or until the mangoes turn soft and cooked.
Now add turmeric powder and salt. Meanwhile in a mixing bowl, add a cup of water to the Curd and whisk well. Set aside.
2. Grind the coconut and green chillies to a smooth paste.
3. Add the ground paste to the simmering mango mixture. Stir well.
4. Once the ground paste gets blended with the mango mixture, add the buttermilk and mix well. Simmer till it starts frothing on the sides and then switch off. Now, heat oil in a small pan and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add fenugreek seeds and red chillies. Once the fenugreek seeds turn golden brown, switch off.
5. Add the seasoning to the pulissery along with torn curry leaves. Give a quick stir.
Now, Mango Pulissery is ready! Serve with hot rice.
- Mangoes that are sweet adds more flavor to the pulissery.
- Do not forget to simmer the flame else it will curdle.
- Do not cover with lid and cook. The mixture will curdle.
- If you are using sour Curd whisk the curd well if not it will curdle.
Mambazha Pulissery recipe below: