Mango Phirni Recipe, Aam Ki Phirni. A mouthwatering Indian Mango dessert made with mango puree, raw rice and milk.
Mango season is going to end soon and fortunately, mangoes are still available in our nearby grocery stores. When I bought mangoes last week, I thought I’ll make Mango Rice/Mango Phirni and post it here. I made Mango Phirni last year for my friends and they just loved it. So I wanted to cook Mango Phirni again, take pictures and post it for all my readers.
This year, I had posted many mango recipes. Many readers mentioned that they liked the Mango Cream and Mango Shrikhand recipes. It is very easy to make. The preparation is very similar to recipes like Kesar Phirni and Rice Kheer.
Mango Phirni will have the flavor of mangoes. It would be silky and creamy in texture. You can serve Mango Phirni either warm or chilled. I like Mango Phirni served being chill. You can garnish Mango Phirni with saffron strands or nuts. Hope you all like it.
Preparation Time. 15 minutes
Cook Time. 30 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. North Indian
Recipe Category. Dessert
Raw Rice or Basmati Rice – 1/4 cup (Soak rice in water for 20 minutes and drain it)
Milk (Full Cream or Whole Milk) – 4 cups
Mango (Ripe) – 1 or Mango Pulp – 1 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Almonds (finely chopped) – 10 nos
Cashew Nuts (finely chopped) – 5 nos.
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt – a pinch
Ghee – 2 tablespoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. In a heavy bottomed pan, bring the milk to a boil. Simmer till it reduces to 3/4th of its quantity. Meantime, drain the rice and grind it coarsely.
2. Transfer the coarsely ground rice to the simmering milk. Stir well continuously for about 10 to 15 minutes so that the bottom does not burn.Once it starts to thicken, add sugar, cardamom powder, and salt.
3. Stir well, and meantime grind the ripe mango to a fine puree.
4. Add the mango puree to the rice mixture.
5. Stir well and switch off the flame.Heat ghee and then roast the chopped almonds and cashew nuts.
6. Finally, add the roasted nuts along with ghee to the rice mixture and stir well.
Now, Mango Phirni is ready! Serve Phirni in small cups and garnish with roasted nuts.
- Add more sugar based on the sweetness of mangoes.
- You can also add yellow food color to enhance the color of the Mango Phirni.
- Mango Phirni thickens with time. To loosen it, add few tablespoon of boiled milk.
- You can also add saffron at the time when you add cardamom powder.