Masala Dosa Recipe, Masal Dosa – A famous South Indian Dosa stuffed with mashed and spiced potatoes and served with Coconut Chutney and Sambar.
Masala Dosa or Masal Dosa is one of my favorite dosas that I make quite often at home. Whenever I make Poori Masala, I would make Masala Dosa the very next day or for dinner.
Especially when I have guest at home, Masala Dosa would be in my “To Cook list” for my guests. If the Potato Masala is ready, then all you need is to make Poori and get the Dosa batter ready. Who would not say No to Masala Dosa?
Kids also love Masala Dosa because of the mashed potatoes. I wanted to post this Masala Dosa long time ago, but never happened. Last week, I made it a point to take pictures and finally I am posting it now.
Preparation Time. 10 minutes
Cook Time. 10 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. South Indian
Recipe Category. Breakfast
To Make Dosa
Dosa Batter – as required
Oil – as needed for making dosa
To make Potato Masala
Potatoes (boiled & mashed) – 2 cups or 3 big sized
Onion (chopped) – 1 cup or 1 big sized
Carrot (finely chopped) – 3 tablespoon
Green Chillies (finely chopped) – 2 to 3 nos.
Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 tablespoon or 1 inch piece
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt – as required
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard Seeds/Kadugu – 1 teaspoon
Urad Dal/Ulutham Paruppu – 1 teaspoon
Channa Dal/Bengal Gram/Kadalai Paruppu – 1 teaspoon
Cashew Nuts (halved) – 7 to 9 nos.
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Cut potatoes into two pieces and pressure cook for 3 whistles using 1/2 to 3/4th cup of water. Once the pressure releases, set it aside and let the potatoes cool down. Then peel the skin and mash it well. Set aside.
In a pan, heat oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add urad dal, channa dal, cashew nuts and curry leaves.2. Once the cashew nuts turn golden brown, add the chopped onion, ginger, green chillies, and finely chopped carrot. Stir well and cook until onions turn transparent.3. Now add 1/4 cup of water and turmeric powder. Stir well and cook for a minute. Then add the mashed potatoes.4. Stir well and cook for about two to three minutes until the potatoes blends well with the spices. Meantime, heat the dosa pan. Take a ladle full of batter and spread it in a circular motion. Drizzle oil or ghee on the corners and cover it with a lid.5. Once the dosa is cooked and turns golden brown, place two to three tablespoon of potato masala on the center of the dosa and fold the dosa as per your wish.
- You can add 3 tablespoon of peas along with the chopped carrots.
- You can use the masala to make bread sandwich too.
- If you are not able to spread dosa, then your batter is thick. Add little water to the batter and mix well. Then try to spread the dosa batter on the hot pan.
- Instead of oil, you can drizzle ghee on the corners of the dosa. It will enhance the flavor and smells great too.
Masala Dosa Recipe, Masal Dosa recipe below: