Masala vadai recipe, masal vadai, paruppu vadai. A simple, popular and flavorful tea time snack made with channa dal or bengal gram and some spices.
Masala vadai is a popular and a common snack in South India. It can be served as an accompaniment for sambar rice or even as a starter. Generally, we make it during festivals. Masala vadai has many variations, and this is one of them.
Masala vadai are little fried bites of heaven. They are crispier outside but softer inside. When deep fried, then turn out to be perfectly golden brown, crispy and light snack. I can’t get enough.
Masala vadai is one of my most favorite recipes, and kids just love them too. Making these masala vadai is a breeze! So delicious and easy to make!
I want dot post masala vadai recipe for a long time. Finally, I made a batch late yesterday and managed to take few pictures.
Masala vadai will satisfy savory snack lovers. You should definitely try this masala vadai recipe. Hopefully, you’ll love this vadai just as much.
Try cooking them up at home and have a happy snack! Crispy masala vada anyone?
Preparation time. 3 minutes
Soak time. 3 hours
Cook time. 20 minutes
Recipe category. snack
Recipe cuisine. south indian
Yield. 20 vadai
Channa dal/kadalai paruppu – 1 cup
Small onions – 10 nos. or big onion – 1 no. (finely chopped)
Rice flour or raw rice – 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves (finely chopped) – 4 tbsp
Salt – as required
Oil – for deep frying
Garlic cloves (finely chopped) – 5 nos.
Ginger (grated) – 1 inch piece
Green chillies (finely chopped) – 2 nos.
Fennel seeds/sombu – 1 tsp
1. Wash and soak channa dal in water for 2 hours. Drain the water and grind it with rest of the ingredients listed under “to grind”. If you want, you can keep 2 teaspoons of channa dal aside and then add them to the mixture just before shaping them so that when you bite the masala vada, you can get a bite of the dal.2. Grind channa dal coarsely without water. It should not be too loose or too thick. Just grind it thick. There can be 2 or 3 whole channa dal here and there. In a large mixing bowl, add ground channa, onion, rice flour, coriander leaves, and salt. Mix well.3. Wet both hands in water. Make equal lemon sized balls and then flatten it using your palms like patties to medium thickness. Heat oil for deep frying in medium flame. Add the shaped patties one by one carefully into the hot oil. Once vadai is cooked on one side, flip it over.4. When the other side turns golden brown, remove the vadai and drain it on a tissue paper.
Now, masala vadai is ready! Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- You can also add finely chopped mint leaves just before shaping vadai.
- Instead of green chillies, you can add red chillies.
- Instead of rice flour, you can add sooji.
- You can add a teaspoon of garam masala powder.
- Instead of ginger and garlic, you can add ginger garlic paste.
Masala vadai recipe, masal vadai, paruppu vadai recipe below: