Milagu Adai Recipe, Karthigai Adai is an adai made of peppercorns and lentils and offered as neivediyam on Karthigai Deepam.
Milagu Adai is a special recipe that I make on Karthigai Deepam. This year, I wanted to post some Karthigai Deepam special recipes in my blog. Last year, I posted Nei Appam recipe. This year, I am starting with Milagu Adai post and soon will post Masala Kara Pori and Pori Urundai.
Milagu Adai is usually thick in size, but I like it better when it is thin. The freshly ground pepper adds good flavor to the Milagu Adai. You can have it along with jaggery or any chutney of your choice.
My family prefers to have it with Jaggery (vellam). I bet jaggery and milagu adai make a great combination. Milagu Adai is very similar to the regular adai. Adding coconut pieces makes it extra special. When you eat, the tiny coconut pieces come in between and tastes good.
Parboiled Rice (Idli Rice) – 1/2 cup
Raw Rice – 1/4 cup
Toor Dal – 1.5 tablespoon
Urad Dal – 1/4 cup
Channa Dal – 1 tablespoon
Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 to 1 tablespoon
Coconut (Fresh,Grated) – 1/4 cup
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Salt – as required
Oil – as desired
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Wash and soak rice with all the other dals for 2 to 3 hours. Then grind it coarsely by adding little water.
2. Transfer the batter to a large mixing bowl. Add coconut, curry leaves, pepper powder, and salt. Mix well.
3. The consistency of the batter should be slightly thicker than our normal dosa batter. Heat the dosa pan and drizzle oil/butter. Then take a ladle of batter and spread it evenly.
4. Once it is cooked on one side, flip it over and cook the other side too. Th adai should turn crisp and golden brown.Now, Milagu Adai is ready! Serve this Milagu Adai hot with a dollop of jaggery or butter.
- You can make the adai thick or thin as per your choice. Usually, it is made thick, but I prefer it to be thin as I like it.
- You can serve with butter or jaggery or even with chutney of your choice. You can also serve with Idly Milaga Podi.
- Freshly ground pepper adds more flavor to this Milagu Adai.
- You can also add a teaspoon of jeera powder to the batter.
Milagu Adai Recipe, Karthigai Adai recipe below: