Mochai sundal, pachai mochai sundal – A tasty and spicy sundal made with mochai/butter beans and served as a snack.
My paternal grandmother makes mochai/butter beans often. Sometimes, she would add dry fish to it. I love mochai kuzhambu/butter beans dry fish curry so much. I make mochai/butter beans twice a month as it has a good source of fiber and iron.
Mostly, I would make mochai sundal as you can eat more when compared to mochai kara kuzhambu. When we have some documentary films to watch, I would make sundal and we will eat it while watching the film. Usually, I will not add grated coconut. Only when I have guests at home or did not use coconut in my cooking for a week, I will add coconut. Gj prefers eating sundal without coconut. This mochai sundal tastes great with coconut.
You may also try other sundal recipes:
green gram fry
green peas sundal
black chickpeas sundal
sweet corn sundal
yellow moong dal sundal
Soaking time. 10 to 12 hours
Cooking time. 25 minutes + Soaking Time
Recipe category. Indian
Recipe side dish. Snack
Butter beans/pachai mochai – 1 cup
Red chillies – 4 nos.
Asafoetida/perungayam – 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds/kadugu – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Red chillies – 2 nos.
Sesame seeds/ellu – 2 tbsp
Coconut (grated) – 1/4 cup
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Soak the mochai/broad beans in water for 10 to 12 hours or overnight. Pressure cook mochai using 3 cups of water and salt for 3 whistles. Wait for some time until the pressure releases and then open the cooker. The mochai should be cooked (i.e) when pressed, it should be soft yet firm.
2. Dry fry sesame seeds. Within a minute or so, sesame seeds will turn light brown. Keep it aside. Then dry fry red chillies separately in low flame.
3. Then remove and keep it aside. Cool them down. Heat two tablespoon of oil and add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add red chillies and asafoetida.
4. Now add mochai and stir well. Meantime, transfer sesame seeds and red chillies to a blender.
5. Grind sesame seeds and red chillies coarsely without adding water. Then add it to the mochai and stir well.6. Then simmer the fire, and add the grated coconut. Give a quick stir and switch off the stove.
Now, Mochai Sundal is ready!
- You can also fry grated coconut, and grind it along with “To Fry” items.