Mushroom fried rice recipe – A very easy to make one pot meal in an Indo Chinese style with mushrooms.
During my childhood days, my brother used to get me mushroom fried rice from a nearby restaurant on Friday nights. I used to crave for it. The mushroom fried rice would taste so heavenly. Even now when I think of it, my mouth starts watering….slurp..slurp. For some reason, the restaurant is closed now.
Last time when I went to India for a vacation, the first thing I asked my brother is to buy me was the mushroom fried rice. You could ask me why I have to depend on my brother to buy me this fried rice. My brother till date keeps it as a great secret, and never tells me the restaurant name from where he gets it. Till date, I am not able to break his secret. Probably after reading this post (if he reads), he should tell me.
Mushroom fried rice had always been a huge hit in my family. The restaurant chef used all the veggies that I have used in my recipe. However, I did not use the MSG salt (monosodium glutamate) as it is not good for health. You can use if you like it, but do not use it often. I hear often that this MSG salt (monosodium glutamate) produces hormone imbalance.
Till date, I am missing that restaurant’s mushroom fried rice. Usually, I love to have fried rice with tomato ketchup. Here, I do not get the same tomato ketchup that we get in India. Taste differs a lot. Whenever I make this recipe at home, I would give a big sigh and eat it with the tomato ketchup that is available here. This mushroom fried rice recipe matches almost to that restaurant’s style mushroom fried rice.
I would always have mushrooms in my fridge. I make mushroom kuzhambu, mushroom omelette, and mushroom curry often. I make this mushroom fried rice only when my taste buds demands chicken or gobi manjurian. My hubby and Sanvi just loves it. You try it out and let me know how much you family appreciated you for making this recipe for them.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: under 15 minutes
Recipe category: main course
Recipe cuisine: chinese
Serves: 3 persons
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Carrot – 4 tbsp (cut it lengthwise)
Cabbage – 1/2 cut (cut it lengthwise)
Capsicum – 3 tbsp
Buttom mushroom – 1 cup
Spring onion (white part, finely chopped) – 2 tbsp
Spring onion (green part, finely chopped) – 2 tbsp+ 1 tbsp(for garnishing)
Garlic (minced) – 1 tbsp
Ginger (minced) – 1/2 tbsp
Green chilli (finely chopped) – 1 no. (optional)
Soya sauce – 1/2 tbsp
Chilli sauce – 3/4 tsp
Ground black pepper – 1.5 tsp
Salt – as desired
Oil – 1.5 tbsp
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Soak Basmati rice in water for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the water and cook the rice with 1 and 3/4 cup of water. The rice grains should be cooked and separated. Fluff the rice off with a fork and spread it on a plate to cool down.
2. In a non-stick pan, heat oil and add white part of spring onions and minced garlic. Stir well. Then add minced ginger. Add finely chopped green chillies, shredded cabbage, and carrot.
3. Saute well until cabbage shrinks and carrot is cooked 3/4th. Now add green part of the spring onions. Stir well. Add mushroom and sauté until the mushroom becomes light brown and soft.
4. Add capsicum and cook for 3 minutes. The capsicum should not become too soft. Then add soya sauce.
5. Quickly add chilli sauce and black pepper powder. Saute in high flame for 2 minutes. The vegetables should be blended well with the sauces.
6. Now add the cooked rice and salt. Stir gently so that the rice gets mixed up with the vegetables and sauces. Mix the rice well in such a way that the rice does not break. Garnish with the remaining green part of the spring onions.
Now, mushroom fried rice is ready! Serve hot with gobi manchurian, chicken manchurian or even tomato ketchup.
- Be careful while adding soya sauce as it may turn the fried rice salty and dark brown in color. Moreover the taste will also differ.
- While mixing rice with veggies and sauces, do it carefully otherwise rice may break.
- You can add ajinomoto, but I do not add it as it is not very good for health. If you are adding it, then add just before you add rice and sauté it for a minute or so.
- Do not overcook mushroom as it may turn soggy.
- Do not overcook the veggies. They should be little crispy.
- If you do not have time constraint, you can soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
Mushroom fried rice recipe below: