Nei appam recipe, karthigai appam. An authentic and traditional appam made using ghee, rice and jaggery.
Nei appam recipe is a sweet/snack made with rice flour and mashed banana. My paternal aunt makes nei appam so well. She usually deep fries it in hot oil. I love her appam so much. Not only on karthigai, she makes nei appam whenever we go to her house.
I do not make this nei appam often. I make it only for karthigai. Gj is not a big fan of sweet recipes so even if I make, I will be the only person to have it. How many nei appam can I have alone? I wanted to post this nei appam recipe since long time. I am so happy that I have finally posted this recipe for this year’s karthigai. Hope you all like it.
If you are looking for more appam recipes, then you might like:
Raw rice/pacharisi – 1 cup
Rice flour – 1 tablespoon
Jaggery (vellam) – 3/4 cup
Banana – 1 no.
Cardamom powder/elakka powder – 1 teaspoon
Baking soda – 1/2 to 3/4th teaspoon
Grated coconut or coconut strips – 1 tablespoon (optional)
Oil or ghee – as desired for deep frying
Salt – as desired
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Wash and soak the raw rice for at least 3 to 4 hours. Transfer the rice to the mixer and add little water. 2. Grind the rice to a smooth batter. In a pan, bring water to boil and then add the crushed jaggery.
3. Once the jaggery gets melted, remove it from heat, and filter the impurities using a stainer.4. In a mixing bowl, add the jaggery syrup, rice flour, cardamom powder, grated coconut or coconut strips, baking soda, and salt. Then, add banana pieces and mash it well.5. The consistency of the batter should be like idly-dosa batter. Keep the batter aside for 6 hours at room temperature for fermentation. If the batter is very watery, then it would absorb lot of ghee. In this case, add little wheat flour to adjust the consistency.
6. Heat the kuzhipaniyaram pan and fill each slot with ghee (may be 1 teaspoon) to almost 1/4th of the slot. I have used less ghee as my husband is very concerned about it. Now fill 3/4th of each slot with little batter. Reduce the flame to low. Appam will puff up while getting cooked.
7. When you see the appam turn golden color in its edges then using appam skewer or spoon, flip the appam over. Cook the appam till it becomes golden brown. To check if the appam is cooked inside, just insert a toothpick into the appam. If the toothpick comes out clean, then the appam is ready to be taken out. Drain the excess Ghee from the appam using a paper towel.
Now, nei appam is ready.
1. What to do if I do not have paniyaram pan?
In a deep frying pan, heat oil and ghee in equal quantity. Then drop a spoonful of batter into the oil, and then cook the appam till golden brown.
2. Why should we add banana and baking soda?
Adding baking soda is optional. Both banana and baking soda gives softness to the appam.