Nendran chips recipe, kerala banana chips. A popular and delicious chips prepared by deep frying nendran banana slices in coconut oil.
Nendran chips is a snack that is very easy and simple to make. At times, when I look at nendran chips, I would see it as a heap of gold coins lying on a plate. I can never say NO to it. Ohh, how much I love this nendran chips!
Nendran chips tastes so good when you deep fry it to the right texture. In Kerala, they call nendran Chips as “upperi“, but in general, people call it as “banana chips“. From kids to elders, nendran chips is loved by everyone. Nendran chips tastes so great when it is deep fried in coconut oil. The natural sweetness of nendran and coconut oil gives a very good flavor to the banana chips.
In Kerala, you can find nendran chips/banana chips almost in all supermarkets and local shops. Even in USA, you can find banana chips in all the indian grocery stores. In Kerala, you can find small successful companies that make delicious and healthy banana chips and sell in small packets. Each and every household in Kerala know the secret of making perfect banana chips.
Right from my childhood days, my dad used to buy this famous chips for us every weekend. We would just finish it off as soon as we could. I would even skip my breakfast and have this yummy chips. Some of my friends are from Kerala, and they would bring this nendran chips every vacation. We would finish it off in no time during our intervals.
I did not know whether I could make it at home till last year. Sanvi loves this chip so much. When my father came here for a vacation, he bought so many packets of chips for her. She loves the chips since then.
All of a sudden, the stores stopped selling my favorite brand of nendran chips, so I had to make it at home. For the first three times, it did not come out well and then I corrected all my mistakes, and since then it comes out perfectly every time. Lets learn to make this nendran chips.
Preparation time. 10 minutes
Cook time. 20 minutes
Recipe cuisine. Kerala
Recipe category. Snack
Nendran banana (raw) – 2 nos.
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil or coconut oil – 1 and 1/2 cup
Salt – as required
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Slit the banana skin and peel it off. Slice them very thin and collect them in a bowl.
2. Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix well carefully. Nendran should be coated well with turmeric powder and salt.
3. Now, spread them out in a cloth and then dry them for 15 minutes.
4. Heat oil in medium low flame for deep frying. Then add the sliced pieces carefully and cook them in batches until they are crispy and light. Drain the chips on a tissue paper to remove excess oil.
Now, nendran chips is ready! Serve with tea.
- You can even slice the nendran and drop it in the oil directly. When it is getting fried, add turmeric powder and salt.
- Slice the nendran very thinly if not it will not be crispy.
Nendran chips recipe, kerala banana chips, upperi recipe below: