Onion sambar, vengaya sambar recipe, chinna ulli sambar recipe
A very easy and tasty onion sambar that goes well with idly, dosa, bonda, bajji etc. It goes well with any tiffin. I have already posted tiffin sambar in my blog. This is even more easier to make. You can also serve this Sambar with rice, but it goes well with tiffin. I am sure you are going to love it.
Sambar onions – 2 cups
Toor dal (cooked) – 3/4 cup
Tamarind – small lemon size
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida/perungayam/hing – a pinch
Curry leaves – few sprigs
Coriander leaves – little
Salt – as required
Oil – 2 tbsp
Red chillies – 6 nos.
Bengal gram/kadalai paruppu – 1 and 1/2 tsp
Urad dal/ultham paruppu – 1 and 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
Coconut (grated) – 3/4 cup
Oil – 2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Soak tamarind in warm water and extract the tamarind juice. It should be about 2 cups. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan, and saute the onions until golden brown.
2. Now add the tamarind juice along with salt and turmeric powder. Stir well. Add little water, and boil well until onions are cooked. Meantime, heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan and add red chillies, bengal gram, urad dal, and coriander seeds. Saute until they turn light brown. Make sure you don’t roast them. Let it cool down completely.
3. When it has cooled down, transfer it to a blender and grind it along with coconut to a fine paste. Add the paste to the onion-tamarind mixture. Stir well.
4. Now add the cooked dal and stir well again. Boil well and add about 1 and 1/2 cups of water.
5. Add asafoetida, curry leaves and coriander leaves. In a small pan, heat one teaspoon of oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Finally add the mustard seeds to the sambar.
Now, onion sambar is ready! Serve with idli, dosa, bonda, bajji etc.
- You can also grind little onion and few garlic cloves and add it to the sambar.
- You can also add vegetables like carrot, drumstick etc.
- You can also add a dash of ghee to the sambar just before serving. Ghee gives a very good flavor to the sambar.
- If you don’t have sambar onions, then you can use yellow or red onions.
Onion sambar, vengaya sambar recipe, chinna ulli sambar recipe below: