Pav bhaji recipe, pav bhaji masala recipe. A popular mumbai street food made with buns and mixed vegetables.
Pav bhaji is a famous mumbai street food and is generally loved by all. Pav bhaji is usually served with soft bread roll and vegetable curry. When you eat it, you get a burst of flavors. My family loves this pav bhaji so much. After moving to USA, we used to have pav bhaji in hot breads restaurant. After I learned this pav bhaji recipe from my north indian friend, I stopped eating pav bhaji at restaurants. This pav bhaji recipe matches the taste of the restaurant made ones. Hope you all like it.
Preparation time. 15 minutes
Cook time. 30 minutes
Recipe category. snack
Recipe cuisine. north indian
Carrot (peel the skin) – 2 nos.
Beans – 1/2 cup
Cauliflower – 1 cup
Green peas – 1 cup
Potato – 3 nos.
Capsicum – 3/4 cup
Pav (buns) – approximately 2 per person (as required)
Onion (chopped) – 4 nos.
Tomatoes (chopped)- 3 nos.
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
Green chillies (slitted) – 2 nos.
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli powder – 2 teaspoons (as you desire)
Pav bhaji masala powder – 4 to 5 teaspoons
Kesari powder – a pinch (optional)
Lemon juice – 2 to 3 tablespoons
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Ghee – 1 tablespoon (if you want you could add more)
Salt – as desired
Minced coriander leaves – a handful
Onion (chopped) – 2 tablespoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
To make bhaji
1. In a cooker, put all the vegetables except capsicum and add 3 to 4 cups of water. Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles till the vegetables become soft.
2. Strain the cooked vegetables water and reserve the stock. Mash the cooked vegetables well with a ladle or masher.
3. In a non-stick pan, heat oil and ghee. Fry the chopped onions until they turn light brown. Then add ginger garlic paste ad fry for two minutes.
4. Add green chillies and salt. Fry for three minutes and add chopped tomatoes. Again fry for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add chopped green capsicum. Saute well until tomatoes become mushy. Tomatoes and capsicum should blend well. Now, add the reserved vegetable stock.
6. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, pav bhaji masala powder, salt, and a pinch of kesari powder (optional). Fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Add mashed vegetables and bring to a boil for few minutes. Everything should blend well.
7. Add some more ghee (as desired). Close the pan using lid and cook in low flame for 15 minutes.Stir well, and then add lemon juice and sprinkle coriander leaves. Switch off.Now, bhaji is ready to be served with pav.
To make pav
Slice the buns (pav) in the center. In a dosa pan, smear butter. Place the buns (pav) on top of the dosa pan. Cook until pav becomes golden in color and crispy.
Now, pav bhaji is ready! Serve hot bhaji with pav along with chopped fresh onions and lemon wedges.
- For a vegan recipe, simply replace butter with oil.
- You can use any vegetables you want for the pav bhaji. Sometimes, I use beetroot, aubergines, cabbage etc. Beetroot gives little bit of its color to the pav bhaji.
- Pav bhaji masala is readily available at most of the indian grocery stores. I would be posting the recipe for pav bhaji masala soon.
- The amount of pav bhaji masala can be increased or decreased to taste. The more you add, the more spicy your bhaji will be.