Play with colored water. Kids love water activities and colors. I am sure they would love even more if they could play with paint, colors and water at the same time.
Give them the equipments and they would turn to be little einsteins. I found this activity here. This activity would be loved by toddlers and preschoolers.
So what do you need for this experiment?
Things you might need for play with colored water:
- dish soap
- warm water
- any squeeze bottles (ketchup, salad dress, shampoo, dish soap)
- medicine droppers
- test tubes
- spray bottles
- ice cube trays
- small white plastic bowls
- measuring spoons
- liquid watercolors or food coloring
How does play with colored water activity help your kids?
Kids will learn to:
- fine motor skills to open the syringe and droppers
- gross motor skills and muscles are challenged as they lift full and manipulate heavy bottles
- keep the kids calm and cool on a hot day
- learn to lift full and manipulate heavy bottles
- learning how to grasp and carry wet containers
- carrying heavy containers without spilling or dropping
- helps in concentration
What does play with colored water activity teach your kids?
- pouring and mixing
- measuring with a variety of containers and instruments
- concept of recycling by using empty squeeze bottles
- primary and secondary colors – learn about color mixing
- pour, fill, squeeze, scoop, transfer and dump the water from container to container
- changing of colors before their eyes
- figuring out how to pour just the right amount to fill a container, controlling then slowing and finally stopping the flow
- what happens when there’s an overflow.
Set up color laboratory for play with colored water activity
Fill each bottle with warm water and a drop or two of dish soap. Then add a few drops of liquid water colors and give it a good shake. You’ll just need to add a generous amount if you want intense colors.
As soon as you set up the color laboratory, kids would be ready to have explore the equipments and colors.
Let the fun begin! Enjoy the color mess on a hot summer day!