Poosanikai mor kuzhambu, pumpkin buttermilk kuzhambu – A mildly spiced yogurt-based curry made with pumpkin and served with steamed rice.
During my sluggish days and when my curd becomes sour, I make this mor kuzhambu. What I like about poosanikai mor kuzhambu is the mild flavor of white pumpkin, and also it is very soft when you bite the white pumpkin.
Very easy to make and no cutting work is needed except for the cutting of white pumpkin pieces. When you do not have onion and tomatoes in kitchen, you can make mor kuzhambu. Though I have already posted cucumber moru kootu in my blog, I thought I should also post a different version of mor kuzhambu and this time with white pumpkin. I usually love to have it with potato fry, kovakkai fry/tindora fry, plantain poriyal and brinjal pirattal. Whenever I have guest at home, I will have this dish as an option. After all, who would not like mor kuzhambu?
Preparation time. 5 minutes
Cook time. 15 minutes
Recipe category. lunch
Recipe cuisine. indian
White pumpkin/vellai poosanikai – 1.5 cups
Buttermilk – 4 cups
Coconut (grated) – 1 cup
Cumin seeds/seeragam – 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds/kadugu – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves/karuvepillai – 1 sprig
Salt – as desired
Oil – as desired
Oil – 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal/ulutham paruppu – 1 tablespoon
Red chillies/kanja molaga – 4 to 6 nos.
Fenugreek seeds/vendhayam – 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut (Grated) – 1 cup
Cumin seeds/seeragam – 1 + 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder/manjal thool – 3/4 teaspoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. In a small pan, heat 1/2 teaspoon of oil and fry red chillies, urad dal, and fenugreek seeds until they turn golden brown. Let it cool down. Then grind them to a fine powder along with coconut, turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and little water.2. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and rest of the cumin seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add the white pumpkin pieces. Fry for two minutes and then add curry leaves. Fry for two more minutes.3. When white pumpkin pieces are 3/4th cooked, add the ground mixture. Stir well and then add 1.5 cups of water.4. When the mixture starts boiling, add the buttermilk. Simmer the flame immediately and continue to cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not cover with lid and cook. When the Mor Kuzhambu thickens, switch off the stove.Now, poosanikai mor kuzhambu is ready!
- Do not forget to simmer the flame else it will curdle.
- Do not cover with lid and cook. The mixture will curdle.
- If you are using sour curd, whisk the curd well if not it will curdle.
- You can add boiled vegetables of you choice like drumstick, ladies finger, chow chow/chayote, colacasia/arbi/sepankizhangu, brinjal, urad dal vadai, ripe mango, thoothuvalai keerai, potato, cucumber, manathakkali vattral, sundakkai vattral, vendhaya keerai (fenugreek leaves) and surakkai etc.