Potato bajji recipe, aloo bhajji recipe, batata bhajia
Potato bajji recipe – A quick, crispy and easy snack that can be made in 15 minutes.
Potato bajji recipe is my father’s all time favorite bajji. My mom makes it on sundays for us. During my childhood days, I can have potato bajji as much as I could. These days, for some reason I cannot have so much. My stomach would want more potato bajji, but my heart would say “Nithya control yourself”. When I see the crispy and golden potato bajji, it is very difficult for me to resist.
You only need some basic ingredients to make this potato bajji. You can serve the potato bajji with green chutney or coconut chutney. I have seen my friends eating potato bajji with sweet chutney too.
You can make bajji with many veggies like avaraikkai bhajji, onion bhajji and vazhakkai bhajji. Of all the bajji, potato bajji and vazhakkai bhajji are well known ones. Try this potato bajji recipe this weekend and enjoy your tea time with family.
Potatoes – 2 nos.
Besan flour – 1 cup
Cooking soda – 1/4 tsp
Rice flour or dosa idli batter – 1/4 cups
Water – as required
Oil – to deep fry
Red chillies – 5 nos.
Curry leaves – 4 nos.
Asafoetida/hing/perungayam – tamarind-sized
Cumin seeds/seeragam – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
Beginners, you may refer “bajji,bonda,pakora mix powder” to make a quick and easy bajji at home.
1. Grind red chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida, cumin seeds, and salt to a semi fine paste. In a large mixing bowl, add besan flour, rice flour, and ground paste. Set aside.
2. Add water little by little to the flour and mix well. Make a thick batter and whisk well to avoid lumps. Now add cooking soda and combine well. The batter should be able to coat the potato slices well. 3. Meantime, peel off the potato’s skin using a peeler or knife. Slice them 1/4 inch thick and immerse the slices in water until use. In medium flame, heat the oil for deep frying. Just wipe the water from the potato using a tissue paper. Then, dip the potato slices one by one in the batter.
4. When the oil is hot, drop the potato gently into the hot oil one by one. Deep fry it until golden brown. If the oil fumes, then simmer the flame for few minutes and then deep fry the potatoes. While frying the potatoes, pour the hot oil over the bajji as its getting cooked to make it puff nicely. Drain in paper towels.
Now, potato bajji is ready! Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- Make sure the consistency of the batter is not too thick nor too thin. If the batter is very thick, then the outer part of the potato bajji would be cooked while the inner part would remain uncooked.
- Cook the potato bajji in medium flame.
- Make sure you don’t add cooking soda more than required, otherwise it will drink too much oil.
Potato bajji recipe, aloo bhajji recipe, batata bhajia recipe below: