Potato broccoli fry, aloo broccoli fry, potato broccoli poriyal – A simple and easy fry made with potato and broccoli.
Broccoli is very good for health. I buy broccoli in bulk and then try out various recipes with it. I love broccoli in chinese cuisine. In almost all my favorite chinese dishes, I have seen broccoli in it. Whenever I make noodles at home, I will use broccoli. Gj likes broccoli.
I like broccoli soup, broccoli poriyal and broccoli usili. This time I came across the recipe “broccoli potato curry” and tried it out. It came out well and goes well with rotis and accompaniment for rice. I have sliced the potato and broccoli like finger fish, but you can cut them in cubes also. It goes well with curd rice. Make sure you wash broccoli well just like how you treat the cauliflower.
Broccoli florets – 1 cup
Potato – 1 cup
Onion – 1 (sliced)
Tomato -1/2 no. (chopped)
Garlic – 1tsp. (grated)
Ginger -1 tsp. (grated)
Cumin/jeeragam – ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder/manjal thool – ½ tsp
Coriander powder – ½ tsp
Garam masala powder – 2 tsp.
Chilli powder -1/2 tsp.
Salt to taste
Lime juice – ½ tsp
Oil – 3 tbsp
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Slice potato and broccoli into lengthy pieces. Heat two tablespoon of oil in a pan and fry broccoli and potatoes for 5 – 8 minutes. Add little salt and keep aside.
2. In another pan, heat a tablespoon of oil and add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds sizzle, add sliced onions.
3. Fry until they turn golden brown. Add grated ginger and garlic and fry till the raw smell goes away. Add chopped tomatoes and sauté until it is mashed well.
4. Add turmeric, chilli and coriander powder. Mix well and sprinkle little water. Cover the pan and cook till the raw smell of the powders go away.
5. Then add fried potato and broccoli. Cook in high flame for 5 minutes. Finally sprinkle garam masala and cook in a low flame for another 5 minutes. At the end, sprinkle lemon juice and coriander leaves. Give a quick stir.
Now potato broccoli fry is ready!
Potato broccoli fry, aloo broccoli fry, potato broccoli poriyal recipe below: