Rajma Sundal Recipe – A healthy and tasty South Indian stir fry made with rajma beans.
I make rajma beans recipes often at home because of it numerous health benefits. When I lived in Pittsburgh, my North Indian friend taught me many rajma recipes like Dal Makhani, Rajma Dal and Brinjal Rajma Masala. She used to make rajma dishes at least thrice a week. I will post few more recipes of her one by one for you here.
I know Navaratri is round the corner so I thought I’ll post some sundal and vrat recipes this year. Rajma Sundal is a dry preparation and you can have it as a snack or even make it during Ganesh Chathurthi, Janmashtami and Navaratri Poojas. You can eat Rajma Sundal as much as you can, as it is very good for health.
To make this Rajma Sundal, you have to soak rajma overnight in lots of water before you pressure cook them. Also when you buy rajma, buy good quality dark red colored rajma otherwise it will take a long time to cook. Having said that, shall we move onto Rajma Sundal Recipe.
Preparation Time. 8 hours
Cook Time. 15 minutes
Recipe Category. Snack
Recipe Cuisine. Indian
Rajma/Kidney Beans – 1 cup
Cinnamon/Pattai – tiny piece or a pinch
Poppy Seeds/Kasa Kasa/Khus Khus – 1 teaspoon
Red Chillies – 6 nos.
Coconut (grated) – 1/4 cup
Salt – as required
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard Seeds/Kadugu – 1 tablespoon
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Soak rajma in lots of water overnight or for at least 8 to 12 hours. By the end of eight hours, rajma would have doubled in size. Pressure cook rajma using 4 to 5 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt for up to 4 whistles (depends on the rajma) or until it is completely cooked.
2. Once the pressure comes down, drain the rajma and keep it aside. You can reserve the rajma water to make Rajma Dal recipe. Dry fry cinnamon and poppy seeds until poppy seeds turn light golden brown.
3. Switch off and then grind it along with red chillies and coconut to a fine paste.
4. Transfer rajma to a pan and add the ground paste. Simmer the flame and toss rajma for about a minute or so.
5. Meantime, heat oil in a pan, and then let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add curry leaves and let it sizzle. Switch off and add the seasonings to the rajma and give a quick stir. Switch off.
Now, Rajma Sundal is ready! Serve warm.
- The no. of whistles for pressure cooking the rajma depends on the quality of rajma.
- Use the cooked rajma water to make curry or gravy.
- Instead of adding the seasoning at the end, you can even make the seasoning first and then add rajma to the pan.
Rajma Sundal recipe below: