Rava appam recipe, sooji appam recipe
Rava appam recipe, sooji appam. An easy and tasty appam made with rava, rice flour, and jaggery. Rava appam is usually served as a snack and mostly made during karthigai deepam festival.
Rava appam is simple and easy to make. They are everything you want in an appam: plump, soft and chewy and flavored with grated coconut, cardamom powder and mashed bananas. This rava appam has been passed down through generations. It brings to mind the old-fashioned flavors of our grandma’s kitchen. If you are celebrating karthigai deepam festival, then this recipe should definitely be on your list. Bet you can’t eat just one!
If you are looking for more appam recipes, then you might like:
Preparation time. 1 hour
Cook time. 15 minutes
Recipe cuisine. south indian
Recipe category. snack/sweet
Yield. 14 appams
Rava/sooji – 1/2 cup
Rice flour/arisi mavu – 1/4 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Ripe banana (mashed) – 1/2 to 1 no. (optional)
Coconut (grated) – 2 tbsp
Cooking soda – a pinch
Cardamom powder/elaichi – 1/4 tsp
Ghee or oil – 4 tsp
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Soak rava in a cup of water for about an hour. Rava will absorb the water. 2. In a mixer, add rava, cardamom powder, jaggery, and cooking soda. Grind until smooth, and transfer the ground mixture to a mixing bowl. Add chopped banana, rice flour, and grated coconut to the mixing bowl.3. Whisk well such that banana is well mashed. You can have bits and pieces of banana here and there. Set the appam batter aside. Heat the paniyaram pan, and drizzle few drops of ghee on each of the paniyaram slots. 4. Using a small ladle, pour the batter in all the slots. Once the appams turn golden brown on the sides, flip them gently. Cook the other side until golden brown.Now, rava appam is ready! Serve warm or hot.
- You can add chopped coconut so that when you bite the appam, you will get to taste the coconut along with the appam’s flavor.
- Once you add the baking soda, do not let the batter set aside.
- You can also deep fry the appam by dropping a spoon full of batter in medium hot oil.
- Instead of rice flour, you could add maida/all purpose flour.
Rava appam recipe, sooji appam recipe below: