Rava Kesari Recipe. A popular and easy mouth-watering dessert made with rava/semolina, sugar and Ghee.
Rava Kesari is a popular sweet in South India. It is quite easy and simple to make. While making Rava Kesari, you have to be careful in two steps: One is you have to roast the rava well until it turns golden brown and while making the kesari, you have to keep stirring it continuously to avoid lumps. If you get these two steps correct, then making this Rava Kesari is a breeze.
Try this Rava Kesari and let me know how you liked it.
Preparation Time. 5 minutes
Cook Time. 20 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. South Indian
Recipe Category. Sweets
Shelf Life. 2 days
Rava/semolina/sooji – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Water – 1.5 cups
Cardamom powder/elakkai podi – a pinch
Cashew nuts (chopped) – 8 to 10 nos.
Raisins (chopped) – 6 nos.
Kesari Color (yellow or orange) – a pinch
Ghee – 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat ghee in medium flame and add the rava. Stir continuously so that rava does not get burnt. Once you get good aroma and rava turns golden brown, switch off and set it aside.2. Add the water to a pan and bring it to boil in medium flame. Add the roasted rava little by little and stir continuously. Make sure no lumps are formed.3. Cover the pan, in low flame cook the rava for 3 to 4 minutes or until the rava gets cooked well.4. Bring the flame to medium, and add the sugar, cardamom powder and kesari color. Stir well and make sure lumps are not formed. Keep stirring continuously. 5. When kesari leaves the sides of the pan and forms a thick mass (when you stir it, it should form like a thick ball), switch off. Now heat a tablespoon of ghee, and roast the raisins and cashew nuts until raisins plump up and cashew nuts turn golden brown. Switch off.6. Add the raisins and cashew nuts along with the remaining ghee to the kesari and give a quick stir.Now, Rava Kesari is ready!
- Make sure you roast the rava well if not you will get a raw flavor of rava and it would be very chewy or rubbery when you eat it. If you are using store bought roasted rava, then you can skip this step.
- Adding raisins is optional.
- You can also spread the kesari on a plate and when it has cooled down, you can cut it into pieces.
- Instead of cardamom powder, you can add vanilla or even pineapple essence.
- You can also cook rava with milk instead of water. Adding milk will lessen the shelf life of kesari.