Raw Mango Pickle Recipe, Instant Mango Pickle Recipe, Mangai Oorugai Recipe
In my college, we would be served a varieties of pickles for lunch. Monday, it would be Raw Mango Pickle, Tuesday would be Aavakkai Pickle, Wednesday would be Lemon Pickle etc. Only in my college days, I tasted the pickles for the first time and started liking it.
My favorite pickles are Ginger Pickle, Garlic Pickle, Small Onion Pickle, and Mavudu Pickle. When my in-laws come here, they would always prefer homemade pickle. They also insist me to make homemade pickles, as we could have a control on salt, oil and preservative.
Till last year, I used to buy pickles from Indian stores. Now I can confidently say that I can make tasty pickles at home. I am planning to post some pickle recipes for this summer. This Raw Mango Pickle Recipe is my first pickle post, and I should say that it is very easy to make and tastes so yumm. I made it day before yesterday and served it with Chow Chow Kootu. Gj liked it so much, and asked me to make again when we buy raw mangoes.
Enjoy this Raw Mango Pickle this summer. Have it with Curd Rice and you’ll love it.
Raw mango (chopped) – 1 no.
Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Salt – as required
To Dry Roast and Grind
Fenugreek seeds, Vendayam – 1/2 teaspoon
Sesame oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds/Kadugu – 1 teaspoon
Urad dal – 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida/Hing/Perungayam – 2 pinches
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity
1. Wash the raw mango, and chop it into bite-sized pieces. Set aside. Dry roast fenugreek seeds until it turns light brown. Transfer it to a blender, and grind coarsely.
2. Heat sesame oil, and let mustard seeds splutter. Then add urad dal followed by asafoetida and fry until golden brown.
3. Add chopped mango pieces and just for 5 to 10 seconds. Then add the turmeric powder, Red Chilli Powder and salt.
4. Stir well and then switch off the flame. You should saute the mangoes just for a minute only. Finally, add the ground fenugreek seeds and give a quick stir.
Now, Raw Mango Pickle is ready! Serve with Curd Rice.
- Increase the quantity of red chilli powder and salt based on your liking.
- Stays well for a week if refrigerated.
- Grinding the fenugreek seeds coarsely will give a good flavor to the pickle.
- Raw mangoes that are firm tastes so good for this pickle recipe.
- For more shelf life, add an extra 1/4 cup oil to the pickle. The oil should float at the top.
- Use clean and dry spoon for handling the pickle. Do not use your hand.
- Saute the mangoes just for a minute and not more than that.
Raw Mango Pickle Recipe below: