Raw Mango Rice, Mango Rice Recipe, Manga Sadam – A tangy and delicious rice made with raw mangoes.
Mangoes are my favorite food. I don’t mind eating it all the time during my childhood days. My mom would give me only a mango a day because I would get prickly heat or boils. When I go to my cousins house, I would eat mangoes throughout the day and have those boils all over my face and body. Then slowly as I grew older, the boils eventually got away from me.
The month of May would only make me think about mangoes. After I moved to USA, I try making lot of recipes using Mango. Some of my favorites are Mango Rice, Mango Sambar and Mango Pachadi (With Sugar). I can never say NO to these three dishes. Gj’s favorite is Mango Pachadi (With Sugar). Whenever I have just a Mango left, then I make this Raw Mango Rice. I like the Raw Mango Rice with Thogayal and also with some spicy side dishes. I add peanuts or cashews depending on my mood. So here is the recipe for this yummy Raw Mango Rice.
Mango lovers, if you are looking for more Mango and Raw Mango recipes, please refer my Mango Collection post.
Raw Mango – 1 no. (Preferably Kili Mooku Manga (Parrot Peak Mango))
Rice (cooked) – 2 cups
Green Chillies – 3 nos.
Salt – as desired
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Bengal Gram – 1 tablespoon
Peanuts – 1.5 tablespoons
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Asafoetida (perungayam) – 1/4 teaspoon
Grated ginger – 1 teaspoon
Gingelly Oil – 1 tablespoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Peel off the mango’s skin, and grate it in the small holes of the grater. Then collect the grated mango and keep it aside.
2. Heat gingelly oil in a wide-bottomed pan, and add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add bengal gram and peanuts. Now add grated ginger, curry leaves and asafetida. Now lower the flame and sauté the peanuts until they are little crunchy/roasted.
3. Once the peanuts are crunchy enough, add the grated mangoes and turmeric powder. Stir well and then add green chillies and salt. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes until it is dry.
4. When mangoes shrink in size and looks shiny as you see in the first picture below, switch off. Now, add the boiled rice and mix well.
Raw Mango Rice is ready! Serve with Papad or Chips.
- Stir well until the moisture leaves the grated mango.
- You can roast the peanuts separately and add it at the end while adding the boiled rice.
- You can also add cashews nuts instead of peanuts.
- You can use left-over rice for this recipe.