Sabudana Khichdi Recipe. A simple and popular vrat dish in which sago is cooked with potatoes and crushed peanuts.
Sabudana Khichdi is a popular fasting or vrat recipe that is made using festivals like Ekadashi, Navratri and Mahashivaratri. Sabudana Khichdi is very easy to make and is a perfect snack recipe.
I wanted to try this Khichdi for a long time. Then, I saw this Sabudana Khichdi preparation in Chef.Venkatesh Bhatt’s show and wanted to try it out. I have made this Sabudana Khichdi twice and just loved it. Only thing is that you should know to handle the tapioca pearls well.
The soaking time of tapioca pearls depends on its quality. If you use a good quality tapioca pearls, the soaking time would be around 8 to 10 minutes. Other tapioca pearls would need soaking time about 25 minutes to 3 hours.
If you are looking for more recipes for fasting, then you might refer Vrat Recipes.
Preparation Time. 3 hours soaking time
Cook Time. 10 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. Indian
Recipe Category. Breakfast/Snack
Recipe Source. Chef. Venkatesh Bhatt
Sabudana/Sago/Javvarisi – 1 cup
Potato/Aloo (boiled, cubed) – 2 nos.
Peanuts/Moongphali (roasted) – 1/2 cup
Coconut (Fresh, grated) – 1/4 cup
Asafoetida/Hing/Perungayam – a pinch
Sugar – 1 teaspoon
Lemon Juice – 1 teaspoon
Coriander Leaves – 3 tablespoon
Salt – as required
Ghee or Oil – 2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds/Jeera – 1 teaspoon
Green Chillies/Pacha Molaga/Hari Mirch – 1 no.
Ginger/Inji/Adrak (grated) – 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Soak sabudana overnight or for 3 to 5 hours. Sabudana will absorb the water and would be soft and fluffy. Wash sabudana well and drain it.
2. Dry roast the peanuts till browned and using pestle and mortar, grind it coarsely. Slit the green chillies and cut ginger into matchstick-shaped juliennes. Heat ghee in a pan and let the cumin seeds sizzle. Then add green chillies, ginger juliennes and curry leaves.
3. Stir well and then add roasted peanuts. Once roasted peanuts turn light brown, add the soaked sabudana and stir well.
4. Add little water, salt and a pinch of asafoetida. Cook for a minute and then add sugar. Stir well and cook for 3 to 4 minutes to prevent it sticking to the bottom.
5. Once sabudana turns transparent and soft, add potato cubes, stir well and cook for five minutes with lid closed.
6. After five minutes, add grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves and finally squeeze lemon juice. Switch off and stir well. Now, Sabudana Khichdi is ready!