Semiya Upma Recipe, Vermicelli Upma Recipe
When I was little, my mother used to run behind me with the Semiya Upma. I was not a big fan of Semiya, but will have it just for the sake of having a breakfast. Only when I started cooking, I started liking Semiya Upma. That too when I was pregnant with Sanvi and Shreeya, I used to crave for this Semiya Upma.
Semiya Upma is very easy and simple to make. The other Semiya Upma that I would make is Semiya Upma with Soya Chunks.
All you need are some basic veggies and a packet of semiya/vermicelli. In ten minutes, Semiya Upma would be ready. I usually have this dish with Coconut Chutney. I have seen my friends eating it with pickle during our lunch at school. If I am super lazy, I will eat it as such. Hope you all like it!
Preparation Time. 10 minutes
Cook Time. 10 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. South Indian
Recipe Category. Breakfast/Snack
Semiya/Vermicelli (I used wheat semiya) – 1/2 cup
Onion (finely chopped) -1 no.
Beans (finely chopped) – 4 nos.
Carrot (finely chopped) – 1 no.
Peas (fresh or frozen) – a handful
Corn (frozen) – 3 tablespoon (optional)
Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 tablespoon
Water – 1 cup
Salt – as required
Oil – 3 teaspoon
Mustard seeds/kadugu – 1 teaspoon
Urad dal/ulutham paruppu – 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida/hing – a pinch
Ginger (finely chopped) – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves/karuvepillai – a sprig
Green chillies (slitted) – 1 or 2
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. In low flame, dry roast vermicelli until it turns golden color. If you are using roasted vermicelli, then skip this step.2. Heat oil, and let the mustard seeds splutter.Now add urad dal, ginger, asafoetida, green chillies and curry leaves. Then add the onion and saute for a minute.
3. Now add the veggies and required salt. Saute until the veggies are half-cooked. It might take about 5 minutes. Then add water and let it boil for 2 minutes.
4. Now add the vermicelli and give a quick stir.
5. Cover and cook on low flame till the vermicelli and veggies are soft. Stir occasionally. Once the moisture is all absorbed, switch off. Fluff it up with fork and garnish with coriander leaves.
Now, Semiya Upma/Vermicelli Upma is ready! Serve hot. You can eat it as such or with Coconut Chutney or Pickle.
- You can also add boiled potatoes.
- Always roast semiya in low flame. If semiya gets over-roasted, the flavor would not be good.
- If the roasting is not perfect, then the semiya would be very sticky and mushy.
- You can add any veggies of your choice.
- For a tangy flavor, you can squeeze a teaspoon of lemon juice once you switch off.
- You can also roast a tablespoon of cashew nuts in ghee and add it to the Semiya Upma.
Semiya Upma Recipe,Vermicelli Upma recipe below: