Shahi tukda recipe, shahi tukra. A rich bread pudding made with bread, milk, sugar and nuts.
Shahi tukda is a very simple and easy recipe to make especially when you are in a hurry or during parties. Usually, I follow this simple and easy shahi tukda recipe. When I need to make an elaborate and royal dinner, then I would follow the authentic way of frying the breads in ghee. If not, I will just use the bread toaster to just toast the bread. Also, I add condensed milk to make the process faster. For the royal dinner, I would add sugar and simmer the milk until it gets reduced to half the quantity.
I like my dessert to be light and tasty. When I deep fry the breads in ghee, the dessert would be very heavy and also have too many calories. Gj prefers sweets which has less calories just like bread halwa and bread rasmalai.
All my friends who have tasted this shahi tukda dessert love it so much. Trust me, if I am so tired and have guest at home, I will make this dessert for them happily. It simply tastes great!
Preparation time. 2 minutes
Cook time. 10 minutes
Recipe cuisine. Indian
Recipe category. Sweet
Bread – 8 slices
Milk – 4 cups (one litre)
Condensed milk – 1/2 to 3/4 cup (half a tin)
Sugar – 3 to 4 tbsp
Almonds (finely sliced) – 10 nos.
Cardamom powder/elakka powder – one pinch
Cashew nuts (chopped) – fistful (optional)
Pistachios (chopped) – fistful (optional)
Kismis – fistful (optional)
Saffron – 4 to 5 strands (soak strands in 2 tablespoon of milk)
Ghee – 2 to 3 tbsp
Refined oil – 5 tbsp
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Place milk in a thick bottomed vessel and bring to a boil.
2. When milk has boiled well, reduce to low-medium flame, add condensed milk. Stir well or else condensed milk will settle in the bottom of the vessel. Then add sugar.
3. Add cardamom powder. Stir well. Now, increase the flame to medium, and let the milk boil for five more minutes.
4. Meantime, cut off the brown crust of the bread, and cut the bread into triangle shapes. Arrange the fried/toasted bread slices on a shallow plate in a single layer and pour the milk mixture over it. Garnish with sliced almonds and chopped cherries.
Options to toast the bread
a. Toast bread slices in a bread toaster. I have used the bread toaster. This way, I found it to be more healthy, as I did not have to fry the bread in ghee or oil. Moreover, it saves a lot of time. Toasting all the slices took only a minute or so. Tastewise, you would not find the dish to be very heavy.
b. Fry the bread slices in oil and ghee. Heat about 3 tablespoons of oil and 2.5 tablespoons of Ghee in a pan. Fry the bread slices in the oil and Ghee. Place the bread slices on the absorbent paper to remove excess Ghee and oil.
c. Deep fry the bread slices in ghee. Deep fry bread slices until crispy in 5 tablespoons of Ghee. You can heat the Ghee in a pan and deep fry the breads in Ghee. Place the bread slices on the absorbent paper to remove excess Ghee.Now, shahi tukda is ready! Chill shahi tukda in refrigerator until completely cold.
- Garnishing shahi tukda with pistachios, kismis, and cashew nuts are optional. It only makes your shahi tukda very rich. I use whatever nuts I have in my hand.
- You can also fry the nuts in ghee until they turn light brown, and add it to shahi tukda.
- Condensed milk will give thickness and taste to the milk, so you do not have to boil the milk until it reduces to half its quantity.
- You can mix saffron strands in 2 tablespoons of milk, and add it to the boiling milk. It gives a good flavor and mild yellow color to the dish. Adding saffron strands is purely optional.
Shahi tukda recipe, shahi tukra recipe below: