Surul Appam, Kuih Dadar Recipe, Sweet Appam Rolls – A sweet pancake stuffed with sweet coconut and served as a snack.
Surul appam is my mom’s favorite sweet recipe. When she came here to help me during my second pregnancy, she made this appam for us. When I saw the surul appam, I wanted to taste it right away.
My mom used to tell me that my maternal grandmother makes this surul appam so well. It seems my mom and her relatives used to request her often to make this recipe. My father does not like sweets much, so my mom did not have a chance to make it at home.
I tasted the appam, and it was so heavenly. I have tasted the stuffing several times because the stuffing is very similar to what we make for modak/modhagam. The stuffing along with the crepe tastes so good. You can eat this surul appam as such. You don’t need a side dish or dip as an accompaniment for it.
My mom said that my grandmother used to serve coconut milk as an accompaniment for surul appam. I ate it just like that and also with coconut milk. It tasted good both ways. If you wish, you could serve it with coconut milk like how you serve for appam. If not, serve it just like that. Try it out and you’ll like it. Vegetarians, you can omit the egg.
You may want to try other malaysian and indonesian recipes:
sweet and sour pineapple chutney
sweet moong dal bonda
goreng pisang/banana fritters
Preparation Time. 5 minutes
Cook Time. 25 minutes
Recipe Category. Sweets
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Eggs – 2 (optional)
Butter – 2 tbsp (at room temperature)
Milk – 2 cup
Sugar – 2 tsp
Food color (green) – a pinch
Salt – a pinch
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. In a mixing bowl, add the all purpose flour, salt and sugar. Mix well. In a bowl, break the eggs and beat them.
2. Add it to the flour mixture. Then add the milk little by little. Combine the mixture well.
3. The consistency should neither be too thick nor thin. It should be just like the cream consistency. Then add the butter followed by a pinch of food color.
4. Combine the flour mixture well to form a batter, and keep it aside. Meantime, add the jaggery, sugar and water.
5. Boil well until the jaggery dissolves well. Once the jaggery dissolves well, add the grated coconut.
6. When the coconut and the jaggery has combined well and the mixture thickens, switch off the stove. Heat a pan and pour a ladle full of crepe batter.
7. On low heat, cook both the sides and transfer it to a plate. Once it cools down a bit, place the jaggery-coconut stuffing in the center.
8. Now start rolling the crepe from one end and then proceed to roll it like demonstrated in the pictures. Carefully roll the appam if not it would break in the center. If it breaks, then make sure you make a thicker crepe next time.
9. Once you roll it to the end, fold it sideways and then keep rolling it to the end.
10. Fold the appam and then place it on a plate. Do the same for the remaining batter and jaggery mixture.Now, Surul Appam is ready! Serve hot.
- Serving the Surul Appam with coconut milk is optional.
- Usually, green food color is added. You can add any color you want. Adding food color is optional.
- Adding eggs is optional.
Surul appam, kuih dadar recipe, sweet appam rolls recipe below: